View Single Post
      07-18-2023, 07:25 AM   #17
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd99 View Post
A friend of mine who is a long-time auto mechanic recommended I get the Carly OBD2 for a scanner. Here is a link Any thoughts or experiences?
https://www.mycarly.com/lp-shopping-en/
When I was researching brands, models and capabilities, Carly was a subscription scanner that charges an annual fee. My needs don't justify paying every year, so I opted for a scanner with a one time purchase price.

One additional advantage to the Topdon scanner I mentioned in my post above is that it connects directly to wifi for updates. I've heard complaints from some that having to connect a scanner to a Windows PC for updating is inconvenient if you're an Apple user.

There are many scanners with extensive capabilities, and the hardest part is sorting them all out, and buying what meets your intended use. There are many websites that review and rate "the best OBD scanners", but the lists and rankings never have consistent ratings. They're all made in China, and many brands use the same hardware box with very similar software. But any scanner that can read codes and do resets is better than nothing.
Appreciate 0