View Single Post
      02-20-2024, 06:35 AM   #31
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by X7 40i View Post
I am Europe based, my transfer case showed problems just two months out warranty at about 90 000km. Initially, I though the jerking while accelerating was caused by poor fuel quality as I often drive in shithole countries.

My dealer diagnosed it and at no point suggested changing the oil. They advised changing the whole transfer case (costs about EUR 6 000). They also advised changing the rear tires (Pirelli Zero 315/35/22) as they did not have the BMW star on them). They are about 8 months old, so I am hesitant.

Not sure whether to proceed with the repair though, as my lease is almost over. I hear that other problems tend to appear once you reach 100K km.
I’m not sure about European BMW warranty and usual lease-length and coverage. With about ~56k miles on the vehicle an extended warranty or BMW ultimate care coverage should protect you though from having to pay for it yourself. Also, the t-case so far has been the only “bad” mechanical issue for pre-LCI X7s that I’ve observed here on the forum over the last 4 years. I think the vehicle is generally highly reliable, mechanically, and you should be good until 100k miles (160k KM). If your tires are the same size/spec as OEM, whether or not you have a “BMW star” (a concept that doesn’t exist in the US) shouldn’t matter to the transfer case situation - that would only be the case if your tires are a different size than the OEM spec 22” tires.

Also kudos to your dealer for sparing you the t-case oil change and skipping straight to the replacement. This is usually the path to resolution, as for most people the t-case oil change is just a temporary fix.