rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
SAE does not define L3 as driving assistance. the body that defines what is l2 and L3 has a very clear distinction between the two.
and there are very few L3 cars so i doubt there is any data to back up the assertion that they will be safer.
your link quotes a random site describing the levels. the chart that i posted is from the authority that DEFINES the levels.

adas is Advanced Driver ASSISTANCE systems. L3 is not a driving assistance system, its autonomy. the driver does not have to be paying attention AT ALL in an L3 system until the system prompts them to take over as the car is the one driving.

I think it is fair to say there are lots of varying definitions and Level 3 is termed "DRIVE PILOT is the world's first and only system for conditionally automated driving" That said, you are probably right

tesla "full self driving" does not even come close to meeting the SAE standard for L3 autonomy. it is fully L2 and an ADAS system.
Mercedes L3 is called "DRIVE PILOT is the world's first and only system for conditionally automated driving" Since it is conditional, can it be called "Assisted"? You are probably right though about sticking with the exact SAE definition.
Appreciate 0