Thread: x7 ride quality
View Single Post
      04-30-2024, 07:19 PM   #35
zzdanny
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I have a 2021 40i. M Sport, 21” runflats, no DHP. It rides pretty good but honestly a little rougher on some bumps than I’d like it a car that size. My M550 has DHP and I think it rides better. Wife daily drives the X7.

But don’t get me wrong. It drives great. We preferred it to the Mercedes drive. The BMW just drives with more engagement and fun, even in a car that big. We both drove a 2025 LCI 40i today and we both agreed it was smoother and quieter than our 2021, but not as fun to drive for some reason. It drove slightly heavier. I don’t think it was slower but we felt the sensation of the acceleration less. To the point she thought it was slower but I disagree. Maybe some of the undesired difference was because it wasn’t M Sport like ours? Either way, she didn’t feel motivated to pay up for an LCI at all. Quite the opposite. And the engine was quieter, which many would like but she prefers hearing the engine noise.

I agree with others that the B58 inline 6 has enough power for the car, if you’re not primarily focused on power. And the I6 engine makes the front end feel really light, which I think makes it drive nice around town.

All that said - we happened to test a 2020 M50 today and it’s fantastic. I’ll be looking for a CPO 2022 M50. Totally different animal. It had DHP and it was a game changer, along with the V8.

I’d say the 40i and M50 are just two different cars in the same suit. It was more than just a faster version of our current X7. And the spec was very similar, otherwise. I came from a 2018 540 to a 2020 M550 and had the same experience when I first test drove the M550. Totally different car. Went hunting and had one a few months later.

Final thoughts - get the DHP. It’s harder to find on a 40i but you can find it. Based on what you’re coming from and looking for, you’ll appreciate it. I think either powertrain X7 with DHP will give you a more engaging drive than the Benz but offer enough of the comfort that you’re used to.

try coding in with bimmercode, comfort plus mode, and see how that helps the ride
Appreciate 1
NGT25745.00