BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum LCI: Driver seat rocks forward/backward on full stops and acceleration

05-09-2024, 08:37 AM   #1
Wiedzmin
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i ordered

Angry LCI: Driver seat rocks forward/backward on full stops and acceleration

So, after so many months of waiting my X7 M60i finally arrived. However, there is one problem with it. The driver's seat seems to be a little loose and rocks forward when coming to a full stop. Then it rocks back on first acceleration after the full stop. Not much, probably only a few mm, but anyway, I can hear it (makes a pop noise) and what's worse, I can feel it with my back. Feels like the seat not bolted properly to the floor, however I have checked and the rail is mounted to the floor very well and does not move at all.

I can also provoke it by pulling the backrest forward with my hand (first pop) and then leaning on it with my back (second pop). Passenger seat is rock solid and does not move or pop at all.

Broken seat frame? I'm not that heavy and the car is brand new.

A little disappointing...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:29 AM   #2
MPower10s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Garage List
My pre-lci does too. Told the dealer and they looked at it, couldn’t find anything wrong said it’s normal…lol
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 09:40 AM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

That is not normal. The only time you sometimes can get that to slightly move is if you adjust your seat upright between the gears. Just nudge the button a touch and it locks in.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 02:20 PM   #4
Wiedzmin
Private
Rep

I would believe it is normal (although uncomfortable and annoying) if both driver and passenger seats would do this. But the passenger seat is rock solid.

Definitely not adjustment issue, I have played with every possible adjustment a little and it does not help.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1787505

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1815067

Last edited by Wiedzmin; 05-09-2024 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 02:35 PM   #5
ledphut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
If they have new X7s on the lot make them compare the play between those and yours.

I had to do this with my previous 750i and they ended up changing a bracket or something.

Unfortunately you really need to raise a stink at some of these dealerships to get your point across. If you’re lucky enough to be in a metro area with a few other service centers, check them out.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 02:42 PM   #6
pjsfirstbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiedzmin View Post
I would believe it is normal (although uncomfortable and annoying) if both driver and passenger seats would do this. But the passenger seat is rock solid.

Definitely not adjustment issue, I have played with every possible adjustment a little and it does not help.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1787505

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1815067
You should definitely take it back to the dealer and ask him to compare it with an similar car on his lot to prove that there is not an issue. They should be replacing the rails or the locking mechanism if the issue is not reproduced in the other car. I had similar issues in my Tesla M3 and that is how I got them to fix my car. Try other service center if the one you went is not acknowledging. It's $110K + luxury car. No way you should be getting less comfort let alone on the driver side.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2024, 12:46 AM   #7
Wiedzmin
Private
Rep

Service visit appointed for next week. Will change the oil after first 2000 km too.

Yesterday I have been driving it a little more spirited and the seat seems to move more. Not only on full stops now, but also during driving and especially on some bumps.

I will update you on if and how did they fix it. Thank you all for replies.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 02:10 PM   #8
Wiedzmin
Private
Rep

Strange thing happened. It was really bad, it did move on every little acceleration, deceleration and bump. So I decided to find it by myself, so I moved it to its extreme position: highest position and pushed fully to the front, then lowest position and pushed fully to the rear and... it is not loose at all anymore, does not make a slightest noise, my arse does not feel it moving anymore even at hard braking. WTF? I did feel it move at acceleration/deceleration before.

Before this operation I saved the rattling position in memory and it does not rock at all even after returning to this very setting. And as I mentioned, I already tried to fiddle and change a little bit every possible setting of the seat before, which did not help.

How is this possible? My seat was loose for a reason. How can moving it to its extreme settings and then back to the initial position make anything loose not loose anymore?

Any ideas? I am happy that it is fixed, but I would really like to understand how.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 09:49 AM   #9
Wiedzmin
Private
Rep

So, I was at the dealer. They told me, that they would do exactly the same thing in order to zero the extreme points of the seat. The guy seemed to have seen it multiple times and knew exactly what the issue was. So: if you have got the same issue move your seat all the way to the front and up, then all the way to the back and down and see if it helped.

Moreover, I've had an oil change at 2000km, used Castrol 0W30 LL19FE. The engine runs so much smoother now. And it was smooth before already. Really a large improvement. Probably the engine oil was unused, but old: they build the engine in Germany, ship it to the US, it gets mounted in the US and then has to travel to Europe. Change your oil frequently guys.
Appreciate 1
admranger3001.00