BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Normal vs M-Sport steering wheel

04-30-2022, 09:28 PM   #1
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Normal vs M-Sport steering wheel

Is there a noticeable difference in feel between the normal and M Sport steering wheels in the X7? If you didn't care about the other appearance items, would you add the M Sport pack to the X7 40i to get the M Sport steering wheel?

The M wheel is a smaller diameter and looks less thick than the normal one. But I'm not sure whether that makes a difference at all when you're driving. There aren't really any X7s available near me to test drive (I currently have an X7 on order).

Notably, the M steering wheel has plastic buttons instead of the nice metallized ones, and it has black nappa leather instead of matching Night Blue (merino?) leather. Are there any functional differences to make up for it? The M wheel does look a bit sportier, but it seems to be a big downgrade from the normal wheel in every other way.

Retrofitting the non-M steering wheel should be possible, but the parts for an entire new steering wheel would be $3000(!) after sales tax... so probably not worth it.

Pics attached of 1) X7 w/ M-sport steering wheel (on M50i and optioned 40i) and 2) standard steering wheel on X7 40i without M-sport package.
Attached Images

Last edited by PinkNinja400Guy; 01-14-2023 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #2
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Don't blink twice, the m wheel feels and looks incredible in person. No way I would trade to the regular one.
Appreciate 6
      05-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I went back and forth for a while on the Luxury Line vs M-Sport for my 40i as both had a mix of pros that I liked (and cons I could deal with). However, one of the things that put the M-Sport 40i over the top for me was the M-Sport steering wheel. I personally prefer the thicker feel of the M-Sport wheel as it adds to the overall driving experience for me (yes, the M-Sport wheel is thicker than the non M-sport wheel).

This is a personal preference of course, but I doubt you will be disappointed with the M-Sport wheel, as both the feel and the buttons are still premium IMHO. But, if you have not done so already, just go to a dealership and sit in both to get a feel (and look) for the two different steering wheels. However, if you really dislike the M-Sport wheel after you get your M50, retrofitting the non M-Sport wheel is not hard (but will not be that cheap either as it requires a new airbag in addition to a new wheel and buttons).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
The M wheel is smaller and looks less thick than the normal one. But I'm not sure whether that makes a difference at all when you're driving. There aren't really any X7s available near me to test.
The smaller diameter wheel helps provide a sportier feel (for me at least). I believe the thickness is the same, but M sport feels plenty thick. I have the same wheel in my M8, and a similar thickness prior in my M3. Some people, myself included, actually started getting some sore heads when first getting adjusted to the thicker wheels when they started showing up in the F80 M3s and similar generation cars a few years ago. Granted, the F80 M3 produced quite a few more white knuckle moments than you'll ever see in the X7, so that shouldn't be a concern.

The steering wheels aren't unique to the X7. The X5, X6, X7, and 8 series all share the same wheel lineups (inclusive of the night blue options), but you could get in a regular 5 or 7 series as well to at least see what you're working with.

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 05-01-2022 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 04:37 AM   #5
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep

After some further research, it seems like the X7 M50 gets the short end of the stick when it comes to the steering wheel. BMW shafts us pretty hard with this one.

When equipped with Ivory White / Night Blue upholstery (or Smoke White / Night Blue for the 7 series):

- The X7 40i gets a Night Blue non-M-Sport steering wheel
- The 740/750 get a Night Blue non-M-Sport steering wheel

- The 840 gets a Night Blue M-Sport steering wheel
- The M850 gets a Night Blue M-Sport+ steering wheel
- The M760 gets a Night Blue M-Sport steering wheel

- The X7 M50 keeps the *black* M-Sport steering wheel

With White / Night Blue upholstery, literally every single variant in the 7, 8, X7 trifecta gets a blue steering wheel except for the X7 M50.

The M850 has a special M-Sport wheel where the stitching on the inside is red and blue (M colors). On the M760 the M-Sport wheel has metallized buttons instead of black plastic, and the entire steering column becomes blue as well.

I'm going to replace my black X7 M50 M-Sport wheel with the blue M-Sport wheel. I'll use the steering wheel part from the M850, to get the cool red/blue M stitching, and the metallized buttons from the 7 series / X7 40. It looks like everything should be compatible mechanically and electrically.

An expensive mod, but from photos it looks like it'll be a great finishing touch for the interior and tie everything together. Especially from the perspective of the person in the drivers seat (me!). Plus, selling the stock black M-Sport wheel should recover part of the cost.

Additionally, the Night Blue steering column covering/trim from the M760 isn't too expensive... <$200 to get both the top and bottom pieces. The part numbers for those trim pieces are different for the 7/8 series and for the X5/X6/X7, so I'm not sure if the M760 trim pieces will fit in the X7. They look the exact same in the part diagrams...

I'll post an update with photos once I get my X7 and do it.

Below are photos of (in order) the 840, M850, and M760. And of course the X7 M50.
Attached Images

Last edited by PinkNinja400Guy; 05-16-2022 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
1230vani660.00
      05-16-2022, 08:24 AM   #6
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
An expensive mod, but from photos it looks like it'll be a great finishing touch for the interior and tie everything together. Especially from the perspective of the person in the drivers seat (me!). Plus, selling the stock black M-Sport wheel should recover part of the cost.
That's certainly the most important part. I had this interior and didn't even know night blue was an option in other trims/models before you postage this thread initially; it never bothered me, but again, I didn't know what I could have been missing.

I hope you're more of a 9 and 3 all the time driver and never touch the top of the wheel like myself. Otherwise, make sure you invest in a good cleaning solution as the wheels love to soak up oils from your hands. After a few months they tend to become smooth and shiny, most noticeable at the top, and it will be even more so with a non-black wheel trying to match your interior.

Depending on the price, it might be worth looking at some of the custom steering wheel fabricators (the ones that will take a base wheel and re-cover it as you choose). If you're doing all this to get what you want, you might as well make sure you explore the truly personal options. Maybe a little tacky or overkill for an X car, but you might be able to keep it tasteful with some night blue alcantara mixed with some color matched leather, your wood trim, etc. A few guys I know have spend ~2500-4000 on custom wheels for their M cars, but they're usually adding led shift indicators and a decent amount of carbon to get to the top end.

Quote:
Additionally, the Night Blue steering column covering/trim from the M760 isn't too expensive... <$200 to get both the top and bottom pieces. The part numbers for those trim pieces are different for the 7/8 series and for the X5/X6/X7, so I'm not sure if the M760 trim pieces will fit in the X7. They look the exact same in the part diagrams...
Do this last to get a feel if you'd need it. Even if it does fit, it looks like the M760 has some extra aluminum trim around the dash that separates the column from the gauge cluster. The 8 and X7 seems it would be transitioning from blue to black with no trim, so it might look a little off.
      05-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #7
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
After some further research, it seems like the X7 M50 gets the short end of the stick when it comes to the steering wheel. BMW shafts us pretty hard with this one.

When equipped with Ivory White / Night Blue upholstery (or Smoke White / Night Blue for the 7 series):

With White / Night Blue upholstery, literally every single variant in the 7, 8, X7 trifecta gets a blue steering wheel except for the X7 M50.

The M850 has a special M-Sport wheel where the stitching on the inside is red and blue (M colors). On the M760 the M-Sport wheel has metallized buttons instead of black plastic, and the entire steering column becomes blue as well.

I'm going to replace my black X7 M50 M-Sport wheel with the blue M-Sport wheel. I'll use the steering wheel part from the M850, to get the cool red/blue M stitching, and the metallized buttons from the 7 series / X7 40. It looks like everything should be compatible mechanically and electrically.

Below are photos of (in order) the 840, M850, and M760. And of course the X7 M50.
This is AWESOME INFO! I was looking at this as well. At launch some photos I remwmber seeing had a blue wheel. It makes a lot of difference, hopefully the mod is possible
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 12:03 AM   #8
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:

Hey did you ever do this retrofit?

Whats the part number?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 04:37 PM   #9
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocomCA View Post
Hey did you ever do this retrofit?

Whats the part number?
I ended up only ordering the silver steering wheel buttons. For 2019-2022, if your car is optioned with the full drivers assistance tech then it's part number 61319461243. However, note that I haven't gotten around to installing the part in my car yet. So I can't 100% confirm that it works.
Appreciate 0