BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum seat protector - car seat

04-21-2024, 01:44 PM   #1
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

seat protector - car seat

I wonder what do you guys recommend as child seat protector to protect the leather from the car seat weigh, indentations, damages? I saw quite a few on Amazon but each had some bad reviews that the protector itself leaves mark on the leather so would like to know from forums members what they have tried and worked (i.e. after removing the seat, the leather was as good as new).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 01:57 PM   #2
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

I have this.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 01:59 PM   #3
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
I have this.
Thanks. Have you checked if it leaves any marks on the leather after some months?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 02:34 PM   #4
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

It actually hasn't gotten much actual use yet but given the material and the thickness I can't imagine it leaving much of an indent, at least one that would be as bad as some of the ones I've seen.

Not sure if you have alreaady but one of the factors you will want to look into is whether 1) your car seat allows any sort of underseat protection at all and 2) if they do what kind of protection they allow. My Nuna car seat is fairly liberal on what they allow as car seat protection, but I still wanted to get a protector from a "reputable" brand so to say, in this case BMW, vs a no-name brand off Amazon. I looked into the Weathertech ones as well but they don't look like they work as well for our seats, at least for the captain's chairs.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 03:58 PM   #5
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
It actually hasn't gotten much actual use yet but given the material and the thickness I can't imagine it leaving much of an indent, at least one that would be as bad as some of the ones I've seen.

Not sure if you have alreaady but one of the factors you will want to look into is whether 1) your car seat allows any sort of underseat protection at all and 2) if they do what kind of protection they allow. My Nuna car seat is fairly liberal on what they allow as car seat protection, but I still wanted to get a protector from a "reputable" brand so to say, in this case BMW, vs a no-name brand off Amazon. I looked into the Weathertech ones as well but they don't look like they work as well for our seats, at least for the captain's chairs.
Good point! My car seat is Nuna Exec so I assume it is the same rule that you mentioned. I am also considering this from Porsche. Had it on my Cayenne and it was great. Only issue is it is not wide enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 06:38 PM   #6
GeoffBlackChili
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I went down the car seat protector rabbit hole a few years ago and came to the same conclusion; all have some negative reviews that gave me pause. I just folded a thick bath towel in half and placed in underneath the car seats. No marks of any kind after 2.5 years of continuous use. Nuna and Greco seats. Best part is if you get in a jam and need a quick towel you’ll always have one on hand.
Appreciate 2
mattsrs638.00
      04-21-2024, 07:44 PM   #7
willzyx
Enlisted Member
Rep

I use Clek mat-thingy with 2 Nuna seats. Been using it for 3 years in a Suburban with perforated seats and now also have a pair in my X7. No issues with the leather seats, no marks, nothing. It has a small flip on the front to protect the front of your seats from shoes. My kids tend to put their feet on the edge of the seat, and the rubber protects it really well. No issues 3 years on. It’s a slightly heavy rubber material, and has raised edges to protect from liquids that helped a few times now. Worth every penny. I also use microfiber tower on the X7 headrest due to Nuna’s back design.

https://clekinc.com/collections/acce...cts/mat-thingy
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 07:59 PM   #8
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzyx View Post
I use Clek mat-thingy with 2 Nuna seats. Been using it for 3 years in a Suburban with perforated seats and now also have a pair in my X7. No issues with the leather seats, no marks, nothing. It has a small flip on the front to protect the front of your seats from shoes. My kids tend to put their feet on the edge of the seat, and the rubber protects it really well. No issues 3 years on. It’s a slightly heavy rubber material, and has raised edges to protect from liquids that helped a few times now. Worth every penny. I also use microfiber tower on the X7 headrest due to Nuna’s back design.

https://clekinc.com/collections/acce...cts/mat-thingy
Thank you much! Looks legit! Dont know why have not come across this brand in my research. Is the rubber non sticky on leather? Was your Suburban leather light color? The reason I am asking is that black rubber on light leather under pressure for prolonged amount of time doesnt sound the best.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:34 AM   #9
khai37
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7

I have diono car seats so I got diono car seat covers.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:41 AM   #10
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffBlackChili View Post
I went down the car seat protector rabbit hole a few years ago and came to the same conclusion; all have some negative reviews that gave me pause. I just folded a thick bath towel in half and placed in underneath the car seats. No marks of any kind after 2.5 years of continuous use. Nuna and Greco seats. Best part is if you get in a jam and need a quick towel you’ll always have one on hand.
Going to implement this. Excellent idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 06:05 PM   #11
srbabu790
Commander ||
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
I wonder what do you guys recommend as child seat protector to protect the leather from the car seat weigh, indentations, damages? I saw quite a few on Amazon but each had some bad reviews that the protector itself leaves mark on the leather so would like to know from forums members what they have tried and worked (i.e. after removing the seat, the leather was as good as new).
I use this from amazon:

Good quality material & fits good with the seat. No markings to the leather surface either so far, been almost a year.
Attached Images

04-22-2024, 08:31 PM   #12
ST23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 40i

I have used this for the past 3 years, hasn’t left a mark in any of the previous cars I had. I have 2 now, one for an infant (Uppababy Mesa) and one for my 3 year old (Nuna Exec)

Munchkin Elite Seat Guardian Child Car Seat Protector with Grime Guard Fabric, Dark Grey https://a.co/d/10RlBYk
      04-27-2024, 06:38 AM   #13
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Thanks everyone! I already had the Diorno one that I had put on my white leather Audi but after 6 months that I removed it, it left some marks on the leather. Not indentation but rather light color transfer. Ended up going with the Porsche one as it has the best material in the bottom part that touches the leather and there is no way it would leave marks. It is also thick enough to avoid indentations.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:40 PM   #14
willzyx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Thank you much! Looks legit! Dont know why have not come across this brand in my research. Is the rubber non sticky on leather? Was your Suburban leather light color? The reason I am asking is that black rubber on light leather under pressure for prolonged amount of time doesnt sound the best.
Sorry for late response, looks like you got the Porsche version. But to answer your question, the cover isn’t sticky at all. No issues with wiping it with a wet towel. And my suburban has beige perforated leather seats. Because of those covers, those 2nd row seats are cleaner than any other seat. So no issues with seats getting darker.
Appreciate 1
mattsrs638.00
      04-29-2024, 11:48 AM   #15
328_X5_X7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tesla Model 3

has anyone tried the ones from 3d mats?

https://3dmatsusa.com/collections/in...AyMEBCTVdAWDU=
Appreciate 0