BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Frozen Grey has a polished patch, how to restore?

05-07-2024, 12:01 PM   #23
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that no one buys their second matte finish car? Seems the only way to get this finish to work is to buy a standard finish and then have a full car PPF. So $5,000.00 to $6,000.00 later you have a repairable matte finish car?
I adore my frozen dark blue II CS, but never again. I’ve already been looking into full respray options. I’ll likely go with purple silk metallic if I decide to keep the car after another couple years. The matte is only going to get worse with time.
Appreciate 3
CSBM52756.00
      05-07-2024, 02:25 PM   #24
Emily172013
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i BMW 330ci

I have a matte finish electric guitar. Just after a few times playing my right arm rubbing it has started to add gloss to the finish.
A new matte finish is beautiful on anything but should come with a warning "do not touch". On a car you're simply not going to be happy in a very short time with what you see.

Last edited by Emily172013; 05-07-2024 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
NickyC17667.50
      05-07-2024, 04:21 PM   #25
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I adore my frozen dark blue II CS, but never again. I’ve already been looking into full respray options. I’ll likely go with purple silk metallic if I decide to keep the car after another couple years. The matte is only going to get worse with time.
Yeah, I had my doubts and it was largely your posts that finalized the decision against a frozen paint for the Z4 I ordered.

Funny, I remember disagreeing with you back when we had a P&N section, but car-wise I think we think the same LOL.

Hopefully future owners don't get too nervous. if nothing else it's a reminder of some things you can and can not do with the top layer of paint.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17667.50
      05-07-2024, 06:01 PM   #26
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
I adore my frozen dark blue II CS, but never again.
Was at my local BMW dealer ship today. They had a frozen X5 in the show room with the movie theater line ropes around it. One kid with hair gel and they are so screwed.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17667.50
      05-07-2024, 06:09 PM   #27
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Yeah, I had my doubts and it was largely your posts that finalized the decision against a frozen paint for the Z4 I ordered.

Funny, I remember disagreeing with you back when we had a P&N section, but car-wise I think we think the same LOL.

Hopefully future owners don't get too nervous. if nothing else it's a reminder of some things you can and can not do with the top layer of paint.
Hah, no problem! Like I tell people it's an awesome finish, I have people swear it's a wrap and they are pulled towards it. Problem is, I have to live with it and I know all the little imperfections here and there and those imperfections are only multiplying with time. I also only drive the car around 4k miles a year, it never sees rain, snow, salt, and is always garaged. If the paint is taking damage under those conditions, imagine driving it year round or *gasp*, parking it outside for extended periods of time!

Congrats on the Z4 as well, those are one of the few current BMWs I really like. I think they look fantastic!

Quote:
Was at my local BMW dealer ship today. They had a frozen X5 in the show room with the movie theater line ropes around it. One kid with hair gel and they are so screwed.
Hah, totally screwed!!
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2024, 08:02 PM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopM View Post
I have a Frozen Grey X1, just concerned about colour mismatches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
The only issue is the fact that the clear can't be "worked" afterwards, so it has to be done in the best possible environment.
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that no one buys their second matte finish car?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily172013 View Post
A new matte finish is beautiful on anything but should come with a warning "do not touch". On a car you're simply not going to be happy in a very short time with what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Quote:
Last December I tried to order a loaded Frozen Pure Grey Metallic X1 xDrive23i for my beloved wife. Back then, the dealer told me straightaway that he could get me a build slot for April 2024 production in any X1 catalogue color, except for Frozen Pure Grey Metallic (otherwise I would be bumped to Q3/Q4 2024 delivery). So we went for Phytonic Blue Metallic. The car was indeed produced last month. Will take delivery next week.

I knew the "frozen is quite 'high maintenance'" stories from the past (I had a soft spot for the Frozen Dark Grey Metallic color gracing the E92 M3 GTS), but was prepared to give it a try. From hindsight, also when reading your comments here, no regrets to have opted out from 'frozen', actually merely by non-availability coincidence. Classy color though when in pristine condition (seen it already IRL).

Good luck to OP to get the paint niggle sorted out.
      05-08-2024, 08:13 AM   #29
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Last December I tried to order a loaded Frozen Pure Grey Metallic X1 xDrive23i for my beloved wife. Back then, the dealer told me straightaway that he could get me a build slot for April 2024 production in any X1 catalogue color, except for Frozen Pure Grey Metallic (otherwise I would be bumped to Q3/Q4 2024 delivery). So we went for Phytonic Blue Metallic. The car was indeed produced last month. Will take delivery next week.

I knew the "frozen is quite 'high maintenance'" stories from the past (I had a soft spot for the Frozen Dark Grey Metallic color gracing the E92 M3 GTS), but was prepared to give it a try. From hindsight, also when reading your comments here, no regrets to have opted out from 'frozen', actually merely by non-availability coincidence. Classy color though when in pristine condition (seen it already IRL).

Good luck to OP to get the paint niggle sorted out.
I have a similar experience. When I was ordering my 2022 Z4 I was really attracted to the frozen grey color that was offered and was ready to select it. Timing is everything and the GM at my dealership who I speak to every time I visit the showroom came over to say hello and we discussed my purchase. He has always helped me out on my leasing and purchasing deals and has guided me in the right direction. He warned me about the "high maintenance" that is required for maintaining frozen colors and compared this to dating a "Diva".

I am glad I listened to him and selected Misano Blue instead. In addition, the money that I saved by not selecting a frozen color offset a good part of the cost of putting full PPF for my Z4.

Another advantage of selecting my Misano Blue was that BMW and other companies offer touchup paint kits for a metallic color like this.

I also wish the OP good luck. If i were in his shoes I would probably use Xpel's Stealth PPF to hide the damage as opposed to painting. A shop could apply a small piece to the area in question to see if the shiny area when covered with the Stealth PPF matches the frozen/ matte finish around it. If it blends in and looks ok the OP should install it.

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-...n-film/stealth
Appreciate 3
Artemis29901.50
alFR55.00
      05-08-2024, 10:22 AM   #30
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Name:  BMW_Frozen_Paint_1.png
Views: 103
Size:  459.9 KB

Name:  BMW_Frozen_Paint_2.png
Views: 103
Size:  437.7 KB

BMW frozen paint guidelines in a nutshell:
Name:  BMW_Frozen_Paint.png
Views: 101
Size:  731.7 KB

"BMW Individual Frozen Paint Guidelines":

"BMW Frozen Paint: Overview and Cleaning - /DRIVE CLEAN":

A couple of Bimmerpost threads related to "frozen" paint:

"Official BMW Individual Frozen Paint Care and Maintenance Guide":
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677929
"Anyone regret getting Frozen paint":
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2004105
"Frozen Paint worth extra care if no PPF wrap?":
https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1955716
"Hey Frozen Owners":
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1847508
"Let's Talk Frozen Paint - Pros and Cons":
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1763936
"Frozen Paint Care & Ceramic Coating":
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1824772
"Questions about Frozen paint maintenance / alternatives":
https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1828910
"Any concerns with frozen colors?":
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937309
"So are drive through car washes totally off limits for frozen colors ?":
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1936236
"Frozen paint - everyday car":
https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755287
      05-08-2024, 12:07 PM   #31
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily172013 View Post
I have a matte finish electric guitar. Just after a few times playing my right arm rubbing it has started to add gloss to the finish.
My Ducati Diavel was matte/satin black and it caught all kinds of issues. It still looked fairly good after six years but there were so many little imperfections over time it made me not want to do that again.
Appreciate 0