BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2024 X7 40i via PCD

02-09-2024, 03:19 PM   #1
The5rivers
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5C, 22 X3MC, 24 X7 40i

2024 X7 40i via PCD

Hi everyone, I just picked up my fully loaded 24 X7 40i last Monday in Spartanburg via PCD and wanted to share some thoughts

Timeline
Order placed 12/9/2023
Confirmed Production 12/9/2023
Scheduled for production 1/5/2024
Production begins 1/8/2024
PCD 2/5/2024

Spec
Brooklyn Grey
Tartufo extended with fineline black wood trim
M sport and M sport pro with 913m wheels and blue calipers
DHP
Exec with BW
DAPP
Climate comfort package
Parking assistance package
Running boards
Spare

This was my third PCD and I can't recommend this experience enough. There were some changes for this delivery compared to my previous two deliveries (very small group of only 5 people, no M cars being delivered since September, and to continue for the foreseeable future, no tour, no free hotel, and no bmw freebies) but the staff, driving experience and delivery are still the highlights of PCD. I will still continue to utilize this option on all future purchases.

Prior to purchasing, I like others who have posted on this board was debating heavily between the 40i and the 60i, and I can happily say that the 40i is no slouch and I am glad I went with it and the savings versus the 60i. I did get to drive the 60i during the driving portion of the PCD, and it was great on the track, but for my needs and already owning two other cars that have plenty of power (and a V8), the 40i checks all the boxes: Looks amazing, extremely comfortable and drives like a dream, buttery soft suspension, has all the options and creature comforts one would need, and great mpg. I don't think I will miss the V8 in this X7 but that's also because I already have one in another car.

I also got PPF and ceramic put on while I was in SC, and just got the Continental DWS06 tires put on yesterday. I am getting front/back/sunroof tinted in a few weeks and then will start looking for cosmetic mods. I just installed the bmw all-weather mats and also have the 3D MAXpider all weather-cargo liner while I wait for the full coverage option from canvasback to be shipped.

I drove back to Indy from SC which gave me the time to get acquainted with the car and idrive 8.5:

1. The I6 is smooth. Great acceleration in comfort and of course sport mode, doesn't feel sluggish to me at least, and was easily able to pass cars on the highway at any speed. It didn't feel underpowered which I was concerned about prior to driving it. Eco pro mode definitely tones everything down, with slower pickup and a slight delay in pedal push to power output, but the benefit is the added efficiency.
2. Suspension is soft and comfortable, really absorbs the bumps on the road, no swaying/rocking in curves. DHP definitely plays a role here, and it is a must on this car.
3. Speaking of DHP, I definitely noticed the improved turning radius and overall maneuverability. There were times when I was in a parking lot and I thought oh that is going to be a tight turn and the car was able to do it with no problem. I think this is a huge benefit for such a large car.
4. idrive 8.5 is cluttered and too much like a phone's application drawer. It took me a few minutes to figure out where basic vehicle options were located, but once I did it was all very familiar and easy to use. I thought I would be annoyed with the climate controls becoming all touch with no knobs, but it was not as bad as I previously thought. One thing I did notice when getting into my M5 was the difference in screen resolution and quality. It seemed that the X7 screens were more crisp and clear compared to the M5s, but I would have to double check the resolution specs of each screen. Maybe its due to the sheer size of the screens.
5. I miss the shift knob. Bring it back.
6. Gas mileage was great. On my roadtrip, in eco pro mode, I was able to get 26.5 mpg. Driving around Indy, I have been able to get 23.5 mpg so far on short highway trips (again in eco pro mode). I am happy with those results, but also want to test this out in comfort and sport mode. Full tank when I left SC had 599 miles, and it got me back to Indy without having to refuel once, which is pretty damn good. On refueling, it went up to 605 miles.
7. Car is spacious compared to my X3M and the primary reason I wanted to upgrade. Now having a 6 month old and a dog, the extra space will be extremely useful and I am already enjoying it (especially as a passenger in the second row, where leg room for me being 6'3'' is plentiful). I am very happy with the additional passenger and cargo space and looking forward to roadtrips and being a people mover.
8. Backup assistant in this huge vehicle is great and works just like it does in my M5 and X3M, however, the "recording" path feature is something that I was looking forward to but looks like it is hit or miss and really depends on the dimensions of your parking space/garage. I recorded a path to parking into my garage at night, and it worked good for the most part, but then when I tried it again today during the day I got a "low light" error and couldn't use the recording. So I recorded the same path during the day and will test it out again. Overall, I think you need more/adequate space for this feature to work accurately because the few times I have tried it, the car has been off to the left slightly and doesn't pull forward all the way (at least based on how I recorded the path). More testing to come, but so far, at least for my garage, seems inaccurate.
9. Running boards are not intrusive to me but that could be because of my long legs. Wife loves them and has already used them. I also like the look of them. Glad I ordered this option.
10. Second row bench came with pillows, and they are soft and comfortable.

I am sure more things will come to mind as I continue to explore the car, but so far, I am very happy with this purchase (as is my wife), and excited to enjoy the ride for years to come. I researched a lot on this forum before deciding on my spec, so thanks to all other owners who posted valuable information that informed my decision.

If anyone has any specific questions on anything I posted, feel free to PM me. Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post!
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
1230vani660.00
keg97169.00
Jd19172.00
alic9613.50
      02-09-2024, 03:49 PM   #2
tamkhan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 ZCP (Sold)

Wonderful write up! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2024, 08:10 PM   #3
Shanh81
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 & 2016 F15

Garage List
2020 Porsche GT4  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
Love it! Been looking at exact same spec
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2024, 08:40 PM   #4
millerghr99
Rep
Drives: X7

Great write up. Really appreciate the mpg and DHP discussion points.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2024, 06:48 PM   #5
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

What’s your opinion of the quality of the forward lighting with the new headlights on the LCI? Does the beam throw out a good amount of light? Low beams vs high beams?

I have the pre-LCI (2021) but am awaiting delivery of a 2024 in a few weeks.
      02-12-2024, 08:47 AM   #6
The5rivers
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5C, 22 X3MC, 24 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
What’s your opinion of the quality of the forward lighting with the new headlights on the LCI? Does the beam throw out a good amount of light? Low beams vs high beams?

I have the pre-LCI (2021) but am awaiting delivery of a 2024 in a few weeks.
Seems to be the same light output as my 2022 X3M and 2021 M5. The beams are bright but there is some distortion/unevenness that you can see when they are against a wall or garage (see this thread for a discussion regarding this issue and a picture https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1955711).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 05:49 PM   #7
tommax
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

The lights seem to be the worst part of my X7 2024. They are pretty bright, but there is a gap between the high and low beams, and they are VERY visible even when you are driving. It is like a dark, uneven line between the high and low beams.. Very annoying!

Nice car and write up!
Appreciate 1