BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Wilress Charging Overheating

08-18-2022, 02:13 PM   #1
nicboy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530

Wilress Charging Overheating

Anyone also noticed the Wireless Charging overheating issue and successfully replaced this part at a dealership? I sent to the dealership last time for fixing this issue but the dealer claimed that they could not identify and replicate the issue. It is strange as the phone gets really hot just couple of minutes when using the wireless charging, how hard would be for them to identify that? This is not normal as the wireless tends to overheat the phone that quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 02:46 PM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicboy View Post
Anyone also noticed the Wireless Charging overheating issue and successfully replaced this part at a dealership? I sent to the dealership last time for fixing this issue but the dealer claimed that they could not identify and replicate the issue. It is strange as the phone gets really hot just couple of minutes when using the wireless charging, how hard would be for them to identify that? This is not normal as the wireless tends to overheat the phone that quickly.
This is a relatively common thread. Wireless charging will create extra heat. If the charger is oriented vertically then it may help as the heat goes up rather than go into the phone.
Different phones react differently. If you have a case on or not also affects it.
What the phone is doing is also going to affect the amount of heat.

If I'm not doing anything on my phone then it will charge (slowly) and not generate too much heat on the bmw wireless charger. but if I'm streaming music, or using car play/android auto with navigation then the phone gets really hot and sometimes shuts off from overheating, or the battery drains rather than charges.

Same phone with different software will sometimes behave differently.

No matter how many times you replace the wireless charger in the car, the problem will remain.

They need to change the design so that there is some ventilation in/around the charger, and the charging spot should be oriented vertically rather than horizontally so it heat escape upwards instead of building up in the phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 04:05 PM   #3
nicboy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
This is a relatively common thread. Wireless charging will create extra heat. If the charger is oriented vertically then it may help as the heat goes up rather than go into the phone.
Different phones react differently. If you have a case on or not also affects it.
What the phone is doing is also going to affect the amount of heat.

If I'm not doing anything on my phone then it will charge (slowly) and not generate too much heat on the bmw wireless charger. but if I'm streaming music, or using car play/android auto with navigation then the phone gets really hot and sometimes shuts off from overheating, or the battery drains rather than charges.

Same phone with different software will sometimes behave differently.

No matter how many times you replace the wireless charger in the car, the problem will remain.

They need to change the design so that there is some ventilation in/around the charger, and the charging spot should be oriented vertically rather than horizontally so it heat escape upwards instead of building up in the phone.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm charging with iPhoneX, it has a case but tried w/o case, the same issue. I was charging it without being used at all but still got hot very quickly. Why the orientation of the charger can make a difference, I have other wireless chargers at home which all oriented horizontally, and never gets heating issue. Is this supposed to be a defective charging pad and chip issue? Or they used the wrong voltages? Has anyone it replaced under warranty get the issue taken care of?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 04:12 PM   #4
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicboy View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I'm charging with iPhoneX, it has a case but tried w/o case, the same issue. I was charging it without being used at all but still got hot very quickly. Why the orientation of the charger can make a difference, I have other wireless chargers at home which all oriented horizontally, and never gets heating issue. Is this supposed to be a defective charging pad and chip issue? Or they used the wrong voltages? Has anyone it replaced under warranty get the issue taken care of?
Heat goes up, so with the phone laying flat on top of the pad, heat goes up into the phone. while if the pad is vertical, heat will go up into the space above rather that into the phone.
Look at some of the newer releases by BMW, the wireless charging pad sits up right, so heat goes up into the space above rather than into the phone.

At your home, do you put the wireless charging pad in a small enclosure with no air flow like it is in the X7's charging spot? Probably not. It's likely on a desk or somewhere where there's more open space and more air flow for the heat to dissipate into the air.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 07:19 PM   #5
Jbird73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7M50i; 2023 X540i

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7M50i  [0.00]
This is why I just use a short USB cable in the center console and stick it in there. Added bonus is I'm not tempted to check email at a stoplight.

You can also have the car read your text messages which is fine if driving alone but somewhat annoying if others are in the car. I turned that auto read out loud off so I have to touch the text notification to hear it played through the car.

Phone stays nice and cool even in the enclosed center console when plugged into the cable.
Appreciate 1
khai Dow337.50
      09-20-2022, 04:35 PM   #6
chiumeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS430

Garage List
Onto my 4th day with 2023 X7 M60i and the wireless charging tray is not charging at all.
No lights, blue, orange or red.
Up top charging indicator not on.

Tried different phones and orientations.
On mine, it's the horizontal position.

This worked on delivery day at the dealer.
Dead today.

They said to bring it in.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

This is a common issue on every brand of vehicle with wireless charging. You will not get a fix from BMW. I never use the wireless charging in our vehicles, only use usb outlet.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 04:50 PM   #8
swissguy77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x7 40i 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiumeister View Post
Onto my 4th day with 2023 X7 M60i and the wireless charging tray is not charging at all.
No lights, blue, orange or red.
Up top charging indicator not on.

Tried different phones and orientations.
On mine, it's the horizontal position.

This worked on delivery day at the dealer.
Dead today.

They said to bring it in.
Maybe try to delete the phone and install it again that worked for me sometimes
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #9
chiumeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS430

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy77 View Post
Maybe try to delete the phone and install it again that worked for me sometimes
I'll try that.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:38 AM   #10
filerent
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy77 View Post
Maybe try to delete the phone and install it again that worked for me sometimes happy wheels game
Not worked for me
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 07:27 AM   #11
ntailor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
This is a common issue on every brand of vehicle with wireless charging. You will not get a fix from BMW. I never use the wireless charging in our vehicles, only use usb outlet.
We stopped using the wireless charger. It's too slow on top of the heating issue. On a 2hr drive with Waze/google maps running, the phone went up only 2-3%. We just plug it into the usb.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      03-13-2023, 07:50 AM   #12
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntailor View Post
We stopped using the wireless charger. It's too slow on top of the heating issue. On a 2hr drive with Waze/google maps running, the phone went up only 2-3%. We just plug it into the usb.
Yep. This is the biggest joke of a technical upgrade that we've been sold on. I am glad it came in a package and that I didn't pay extra for it. No one should ever pay for this "technology" that heats your phone up instead of charging it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 07:58 AM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I gave up with the BMW charging pad with my iPhone 13 pro.
It works for 2 minutes then stops. I use a usb cable in the middle box and call it a day.
The charging pad does work with my older Galaxy phones rather well. My Note 9 has no issue with it. I am not one that need to infuse their phone in every aspect of their life. I don’t even use Apple Car play and prefer the BMW maps and ui.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2023, 07:49 AM   #14
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
Yep. This is the biggest joke of a technical upgrade that we've been sold on. I am glad it came in a package and that I didn't pay extra for it. No one should ever pay for this "technology" that heats your phone up instead of charging it.
This is not just a BMW issue. Problem is using too many apps such as Spotify, GPS, nav, AA or CarPlay at same time of wireless charging. Also couple that with wireless connection to the car and/or BT. How about also adding a phone case. All this compounds the problem. Heck my phone gets warm on the wireless charger at home and I'm not even using any apps.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2023, 08:20 AM   #15
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
This is not just a BMW issue. Problem is using too many apps such as Spotify, GPS, nav, AA or CarPlay at same time of wireless charging. Also couple that with wireless connection to the car and/or BT. How about also adding a phone case. All this compounds the problem. Heck my phone gets warm on the wireless charger at home and I'm not even using any apps.
That's what I was going to say, even at home I stopped using the wireless charger. Just charged really slow and I didn't like leaving it on there all night long. I hate the cords, but it still seems to be the better way to charge. I have a cord in my center armrest for emergencies, but otherwise I just turn my screen side down on the charger just to hold it without using the charger.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      03-15-2023, 02:23 PM   #16
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Wireless charging is induction based and the inefficiency of the technology is transfer loss resulting in heat. Agree its a useless tech and not a BMW problem, when they unveiled the induction floor charger for EVs that was the stupidest idea ever.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 10:43 AM   #17
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Normal issue. Use the cord instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 11:49 PM   #18
Calper
Rep
Drives: 2023 bmw x7 m60i

Garage List
2023 bmw x7 m60i  [10.00]
I usually avoid using any maps or any such apps while wirelessly charging my iphone. Also, I keep that compartment open for ventilation. The phone still heats up(I hv a cover) a bit, but would consider it slightly warm as opposed to hot then.
Appreciate 0