2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Jerez Black, 13 x5

Garage List
Driving modes

This is for 2020 m50i.

So the many driving modes.

Are there really that much of a difference that it is worth switching? Some are made to promote savings gas, some mode to let you drive without worrying about efficiency. Is there a list or link that shows you what the actual settings are for the various drive modes?

If you are in ANY driving mode, and all of a sudden you need to drive really quick, do all the ‘efficient’ stuff get throw the window? In other words, will you still get the maximum HP and torque if you all of the sudden push the gas pedal real quick? or do you have to switch driving mode? or down shift with the shift paddle on the steeering wheel?

Seems like if you are in ‘comfort’ mode, you can easily down shift with the paddle and drive in M1, m2, M3 etc. but as soon as you start to cruise, it revert back to ‘auto’ mode. It doesn’t stay in manual shift mode.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 01:42 PM   #2
DaMoose
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali, Chevy Corvette

When you stomp on the go pedal, I don't think there is any difference between the drive modes. Once you go full throttle, everything related to fuel savings goes out the window.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 01:57 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The short answers to your questions are covered in the owners manual…and what has been your experience (if you’ve tried using the modes)? BTW, there’s an owners manual embedded in iDrive, so you don’t have to actually pull out the paperback version…there’s a digital version with multiple ways to search right in the car that you can read on your central display screen.

Also, there’s still the STEPTRONIC gear shift feature…if you need immediate response from the engine/tranny etc…simply push the gear shift lever to the left which will immediately enter a sport mode version. Yes, you can still manually shift using the steering wheel paddles or the gear shift lever.

If you use the gear shift lever, you simply push it back to the right to go back to what ever drive mode you were previously in.

There’s also a bunch of interesting video explanation of some of the features/options on the car which you can watch right in the vehicle.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-04-2024 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
keg97170.50
      05-04-2024, 03:41 PM   #4
ledphut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
The different drive modes have just as much to do with suspension firmness as it does with pedal response and shift speeds.

I normally ride around in Comfort Plus and if I need to embarrass someone in an Explorer XT or something I just bump the shifter over into Sport.
Appreciate 0