View Single Post
      09-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

300HP sedan/coupe here to stay??

So, I had a 1990 300zx twin turbo. This was great car, 300HP, 4 wheel steering at speed, adjustable suspension, etc. Loved it! It was the first car I owned that really pinned me to the back of my seat when accelerating.

After that car came out, it was followed by the 330HP Toyota Supra, and 330HP Mitsubishi 3000GT...

There were all of those 300+HP hatchbacks, but one by one, they were all discontinued. Was this because the hatchback market dried up or because 300HP was to pricey, lacked the gas mileage, or some other reason? The horse power and performance of the Z, Supra and others kepting creeping up with each new revision but seemed like it peeked and then they all went a way because their markets dried up.

When the new Z was re-introduced with the 350z, I believe it had only 260HP so Nissan was not attempting to beat the HP/Torque of its predecessor. It has since crept back up.

I'm wondering if the same thing will happen with the sports sedan/coupe market, not the class of car itself, but the horse power. There are now several 300+HP sport sedans and coupes. Are they here to stay?

It seems like the hatchback market just died up and with it, all of those 300HP engines. That can't happen to the sedan/coupe market but there has to be a horse power limit for this class (excluding the M, AMG, etc).

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0