View Single Post
      06-15-2014, 12:35 AM   #19
GoodandEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 MCB

The lap times of these road cars on nurburgering are meaningless despite they never fail to entertain keyboard warriors. Automotive manufactures choose this location is mainly because it is ideal to test cars (various surface conditions, all kinds of turns and straights, basically a convenient test facility). There are some professional drivers who have specialized knowledge and extensive experience on this track (Gan San laped several thousand laps there), they can easily push most road cars to the limit with confidence. But for cars like M5, I believe only very few owners will survive (even the fist section) if they literally run the ring at their 100% limit. M4 apparently will be easier to make a fast lap time even in a pair of less capable hands, but I still think it's full potential is beyond most drivers' ability. My point is that we should just forget about lap times of daily drivable sports cars, and focus on the driving experience. Leave the competition of those fractions of a second to formula one drivers, and enjoy our cars by knowing that M5 will be faster than Veyron, LP700, F12 and any Porsche on the ring if you drive any of those and Niki Lauda drives M5.
Appreciate 0