08-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #23
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
If more reviews are like this in favour of the C-Class, I have to start to believe that BMW really dropped the ball with the F30. It seems like everybody in this class has improved (IS, C-Class, A4 still TBD but I expect an improvement given Audi's recent track record) and even the ATS came out with a hit while BMW remained stagnant and in come cases even regressed from the E90.

Everybody has their opinion on what and how a BMW should feel like. If a BMW can only feel like a BMW when it's at the limit, that's a disappointment to me. Only having experience with various E46's and E90's, it didn't matter which trim you got, a 323i, 330i or 335i, you knew properly weighted steering, great feedback and a stiff yet compliant ride was a certainty. With the F30, it seems you have to do/add more to make it feel as it should.

Well done Mercedes. For luxury, Mercedes has everyone beat in this segment hands down and from the reviews, it seems like Mercedes has the F30 beat in steering. I never considered a C-Class because it lacked everything that mattered to me that the 3-Series delivered, I can't ignore the C-Class this time around.
Mercedes is playing their cards properly this time around. This is the C-Class achieving the role it should have from its inception in the early '90s. Instead of trying to beat BMW at its own game, MB went for overt luxury while providing a competent "sporting" experience to go along with it. BMW seems to positioning itself in an uncomfortable area of compromise; the F30 is trying to be everything to everyone. While the idea makes sense - and realistically, it will probably continue to be a formula for sales success - it gives us car buying enthusiasts a compromised product.

Another point to consider is that there's a much smaller gap in this class when it comes to quality, comfort, and driving capability compared to the last couple of generations. The E46 had the W203 to deal with, and that was not exactly a barnstormer or a luxurious car to begin with (and the B5/B6 A4... same story). There isn't a clear cut winner by playing the jack-of-all role anymore.
Appreciate 0