View Single Post
      01-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #16
GAS428
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i grand coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
While not torally disagreeing just a couple of points.

You are basing the running in of a full scale engine against a toy train engine?
Even though the manufacturer recommends 1200, that will be a conservative estimate based on most critical component in engine / drive train.

The actual force remains constant within the engine, it is the speed that varies, a piston generates the same force, however it's speed varies with actual revs, that gives the increase in force / power.

Anyone driving in Eco mode (self harm mode) for 30 miles never mind 3000 miles deserves a medal.

Engines need variation of speeds and loads to bed in correctly.

The majority of all functional checks / tests of any engine have it running at various power / rpm settings.

Also the standard of modern engines are well ahead of those from 80s and earlier, where yes care had to be taken.

Thank you for your comments. I greatly appreciate new information.

One thought, I always considered load to be how much pressure the combustion chamber is exposed to which is equivalent to torque.

2000 rpm at full throttle I consider a high load in particular since the hydraulic wedge may be at its weakest point.

I also agree that the higher revolutions after the brake in period are crucial to accommodate connection stretch allowing the rings to mate to the new cylinder walls. and BMW had it right by saying to gradually increase the power and I assume the RPMs.

the materials and engine processes have changed over they years, but I have not had the luxury of getting the BMW chief engine engineer into a pub for a few hours to get the data to make informed decisions.

I researched this engine and have found it to be a marvel of engineering but it is the details I do not have access to. One of the best articles I found about the new BMW 4 cylinder also the foundation of the 6 cylinder is in the link below.

http://www.kilometermagazine.com/art...20_Engine.html

One thing I did forget to mention. Disable the engine start and stop feature. I am researching how to permanently disable it to save the turbo.
Appreciate 1