View Single Post
      02-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

So, I read that entertaining article. What struck me most is the author's tacit implication that those of us who own several of the noted watches (directly cited or as "wears also") must suffer from multiple personality disorder. LOL Maybe that's just me going too far, however, for several of the "profiles" fit me.

Most curiously, the one that best fit me corresponds to a watch I don't own, don't want, and would be reticent to wear even if it were given to me. I just plain old don't like the look of any of that maker's pieces, at best I can find one that I "could stand" if I just absolutely had to wear one. And what would that watch be?

Fortunately, of course, it doesn't matter in the least to me that RM best fits the "me" I have spent my life being, or that that the others less accurately do. Maybe that makes me truly an RM-type of guy -- within the context of the article -- even if I don't have one. If only RM would make a watch I actually would want to wear...maybe there's hope for him and me. LOL

Questions:
I suspect that few folks here are so one dimensional that a watch (or several of them) can encapsulate the entirety, or even a significant minority, of their character. Nonetheless, reading the article raised a few questions in my mind:
  • How about other watchies? Does the profile that best describes you, (however poorly "best describes" might actually be) correspond to a watch you own, or intend to own at some point?
  • Given whatever profile best fits you, which from the primary maker would you choose or have you chosen?
  • Each of the ten primary brands/profiles has one or more "wears also" watches. With regard to the "wears also" brands associated with the primary brand having the profile that best fits you, which "wears also" watches would you choose?
For me, you see above the RM I would "deign" to wear. As for the wear's also watches I rather like from Urwerk, MB&F and DeBethune, I'd pick the following:

Urwerk UR-103 Phoenix

DeBethune DB-10 (original or re-issue) or DB-15, the latter being among, if not the, best looking perp cals I've come across.

(yes, the watch case says DB17. The DB15 and 17 have the same movement. They differ by the dial.)

MB&F Legacy Machine No. 1 Xia Hang

This watch is among the very few (it may well be the only one) for which a power reserve indicator actually contributes to my having a positive impression of the piece.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 1