View Single Post
      03-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiey View Post
Got my car just under two weeks ago and Adaptive Drive is amazing.

It's not a "showroom" feature it's one that you only get once you start to live with it.

I live on a cobbled street (with cobbled speed humps!) and the ride is amazing, beautifully damped and smooth. On the other hand I went up to see my Dad at the weekend and took him for a run on my old "Boy Racing" route and the body control was astonishing. The car really did shrink around me, and in no way felt like an almost 2 tonne estate.
Join the club.

Your comment on shrinking the car around you is my feeling as well, makes the 'barge' a very agile car for its size.

When I first got into a demo F10 with Adaptive Drive I was sold on it, the best advancement in suspension I'd come across, nothing BMW offers can come close, IMO.

Was reading just last week of an owner who has just updated his F10 and gone for VDC this time, instead of the standard suspension. He was happy with the standard suspension but has commented on the "better planted, secure suspension". Adds he is converted.

That is 'just' VDC. For me the 'star' of Adaptive Drive is ARS. VDC is an obvious suspension enhancement in daily driving, but ARS takes the chassis to another level.

Even the softer VDC settings get superb body control through the twisty stuff. Goes around bends flatter that you can expect from such a big car, belies the degree of ride comfort you are enjoying. Dial in Sport suspension mode and the anti-roll function is deceptive, you find you are cornering far faster than it feels, as the car is so controlled.

I've lived with AD for 2 1/2 years and still rate it as the best option on the car. I still marvel at how good it is, hardly ever gets caught out in how it holds the chassis under control.

I certainly get comments from passengers on how well the car rides and handles. Drivers who use the same roads (know them well) and can't fathom how my car can give such a surefooted and comfortable ride at the same time.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1