05-23-2015, 01:23 AM   #20
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustyloafer View Post
Stupid question but I am assuming there is a difference between high beam assist and the full adaptive headlights which allows it to split the full beam around oncoming vehicles etc.

It was a little unclear when I ordered my car but how do I know which I will be getting. I have on order a 335d m sport touring with the m sport plus package and visibility package.

I had thought that only if you also purchased the LED headlight option did you get the full "dancing lights" functionality and with just then Xenons it would just turn into the corner with you and switch high beam on or off but now I'm not sure.

Can anyone explain all the headlight options and their levels of functionality in laments terms.
AFAIK...

High beam assist detects oncoming cars (via a front sensor / camera) and switches high beam on and off respectively. This can be specced separately so you can have HBA without adaptive.

Adaptive actually alters the lateral angle of the light beam to aid going round corners (using angle of steering and gps data I think?) and not blinding oncoming traffic. If you spec this it includes HBA, so you can't have adaptive without HBA.

With respect to the Xenon / LED differences. Xenon can have HBA, or both HBA/adaptive added as extras, but LED comes with both as standard (I think, but you'd need to check with dealer) and may well be better thanks to the newer tech. Although I'm more than happy with my Adaptive Xenons.

Hope this helps (and is correct?)

Last edited by TheLiverBird; 05-23-2015 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0