12-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I tried four times to get SLED running on my personal computer, after nearly flawless installs at a 1-day class. I was excited by OpenOffice and the 3-D desktop

When I got home I couldn't get it to run right. Installation kept failing on BASIC apps in the default.

Then I went out and bought a new MB specifically with an ATI chip, more RAM, and a SATA disk. Got it installed once, and the first update I ran only wnated to update the ATI driver. CRASH!!! Could not get it repaired. Went back one more time from scratch and it wouldn't run at all because of the ATI driver issue from the default install, so I'm typing from XP.
If your system is still starting up and gets to where it asks for your login on a text mode (DOS-like) screen, you can login as root, then type YAST.

This will give you the YAST installer/configuration module, whatever it is called. Then you could set the Community Repositories under Software to include ATI Repository.

Once you have done that, you should be able to install what you need. I don't know if you would then do that in YAST from Hardware/Graphics Card and Monitor, or if you would first need to go to YAST Software/Online Update or Software/Software Management.

If you are good with a little troubleshooting, after installing the right drivers, you might be OK.

Unlike Windows, at the console (text mode DOS-like interface) you can do essentially anything you can in the GUI (Konqueror or Gnome) for configuration. Learning how to do it is a trick. It helps to have another working PC nearby to refer to the Linux user groups.

BTW: I would recommend openSUSE over SLED if you are still in your trial period. openSUSE is FREE. SLED costs money. If you want to pay for support, you can still do that with openSUSE. I think there is a lot more available in RPM repositories for openSUSE than SLED.