View Single Post
      09-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #66
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Valved rear exhaust installed!

It's been about a week since the install of the M3World rear section exhaust and I've had the chance to take the M3 out a few times now. There is little doubt it is now an awesome sounding beast. But certainly one with two characters because of the valves.

I had a huge smile on my dial when I first started it up at the shop carpark ... man, what a sound! It certainly hit the spot as that was the exhaust character I had been wanting the whole time. This was the default valves closed mode! That beautiful, distinctive V8 burble clearly audible from inside and yet not overbearing - just perfect; finally the car has that bassy rumble which was missing even with the catted resonated x-pipe. On the go, the note and volume is perfect - it's there but it would never get in the way of any normal conversation with a front seat passenger. Partner friendly? Tick! Get on the loud pedal and it howls like a V8 should.

Valves open unleashes the beast! The difference between modes is really noticeable. The exhaust is naturally louder in open mode but I would say not at all over-the-top loud and frankly, I am conservative when it comes to this. It truly gives the M3 that V8 powerhouse sound and character the like I have not experienced before. It's that good!

Happy? That's a resounding yes. The valved rear section paired with the x-pipe seems a perfect match - no drone or unpleasant noises in open or closed mode, a very small hint of resonance as revs build just after moving off in open mode only — but it is not intrusive and you pass through that point quickly anyway. Around town with valves closed, you'd probably pass by relatively unnoticed. Then again, if making a statement is your thing, just open them valves and watch roadside wildlife run for cover! At freeway cruising speeds in either mode, the sound is there but appropriately in the background. Ah but that proper V8 sound!

As a side note, I've experienced the rear exhaust on an E90 M3 with the factory x-pipe. Interestingly, while sounding great, the one thing I noticed was that the system on that car tended to be 'boomy' and droned at certain RPMs. Not so in mine. I guess some amount of work must have gone into sorting that.

I need to have some slight adjustment made to the left side but that should be a quick job. I'm still playing with the adjustment on the tips, which is a simple task as they are designed to be fully adjustable.
Attached Images

Last edited by JJH; 07-02-2017 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
DaveDee532.00