09-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #100
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
So perhaps I'm still missing something. TechnicPnP previously told orangeglim that the ASD unit functioned as a 15W amp (approx 8V), boosting the low 2.8V input signal from the iDrive, and that removing this 15W boost from the signal path was the reason for the missing bass.

But then Silver6spd is told by TechnicPnP that the BMW schematic used to design the harness was incorrect, and that with a simple fix, everything works as intended, with no loss of bass.

Are we now saying that the rewired bypass harness somehow retains the boost of the ASD amp without sending the ASD engine sound into the signal path? I'm hopeful, but just want to know what I'm getting into before I order the new harness.
Saw your post on the M2 forum as well ...

I think it's a combination of both. The out-of-phase condition that the original wiring in the harness created in the subs had a far larger effect than any lost line-level input voltage that taking ASD out of the signal path creates. And honestly, that amount of power (15W) is nowhere near enough to make a tremendous difference in bass frequency SPL. It would be manifested far more in the higher audible registers than in bass.
Appreciate 0