MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMAF View Post
so let me get this straight - you change the downpipe and exhaust and do not tune the car. Then the computer figures out that something aint right and throws it into limp mode. Forgive me but it seems to me what is more surprising is that the computer let the thing go as long as it did. I mean you say nothing was changed on the driveline - but a downpipe is a big deal - which is why it can make such a difference in performance. I come from the world of subarus and the simple rule for those engines is that if you change a downpipe you NEED a tune or expect all kinds of havoc. Now granted BMWs are very different from subbies, but jeez how can you change out the downpipe, not tune the thing and expect everything to be fine? - also to me it seems its way after the fact to claim that this would have happened if you had remained stock just because someone else had a similar experience on his stock motor. Hope everything works out - but you do pay to play. Mod the thing and you take your chances.

EDIT: - I was just surfing around about downpipes for the N55 and came across this blurb on the COBB website regarding their downpipe. - just so I'm not crazy about swapping in a downpipe on your $55k Mcar and not tuning it - clearly the recommendation is that you should tune the thing when you change the downpipe.

"It is a direct replacement. However, proper tuning is required to take advantage of the increased air flow and prevent any CELs. The best way to do this is with the Stage2 maps (made specifically for this downpipe) on the Accessport."
Completely agree with you, but Akrapovic stated differently to me. They said only the catless downpipe needed a tune and not the one I have.

Else I would have had the tune already. So let's wait and see what the outcome will be and we act accordingly.

I also have the Awron display which can act as a delete-r. That might also be the solution, although it is ony against CEL codes and not limp mode.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 10-27-2016 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 0