View Single Post
      01-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #406
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Well done on your results! A power meter is incredibly useful, when used properly and with so many options out there they're incredibly accessible now. I'm not a natural at endurance sports/cycling so it's been a really good tool for me to quantify real time efforts and train properly with quality. You already know why training with HR independently can be flawed, too many variables environmental/physiological. Learn how to use the data and it will certainly unlock a lot of ability. Do your research, talk to a coaching buddy for advice, you'll find it to be an incredibly efficient tool.

I will mention though, when not in real race training or intensity, I do unplug. Becoming a slave to the power meter all year round is no fun!
Good advice, thanks. Chris Carmichael (Lance Armstrongs coach) helped me set up a interval training program based on my HR. It was very helpful and was a key factor in helping me win the gold at senior olympics. He said a power meter would have been better and talks about the benefits of one in the newsletters I receive from him. My bike shop owner is a successful Triathlete and uses the Garmin. He is setting me up with one this week which interacts with my bar mounted Garmin GPS and downloads whenever there are upgrades. He is going to work with me in learning the various options available. I guess you are never too old to learn new things. Keeps me young.
Appreciate 0