01-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #17
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I haven't seen anyone use a cover letter in years. I know of no one that has the time to read them in addition to a resume.

Keep the resume brief but meaningful (2 pages max, keep to 1 if you can). It will get scanned for 10-15 seconds to determine if it is worth reading. Then it needs to be good enough to get called in for an interview and to provide information to those who will interview you in an effective efficient manner.

The resume can get you imterviews, but the interviews are key. No cover letter or resume can make up for a bad interview. If you haven't been in the market for 15 years, talk to some friends that may be able to coach you on prepping for them.
This is dead wrong advice on the issue of cover letters. Cover letters do matter. Resumes get you past the first screen. Cover letters get you interviews. From there, the interview and references matter a whole lot more than either a cover letter or resume, but if you don't have a cover letter your resume will get round filed.

Although my specialty is labour relations, I routinely give advice to HR generalists, managers, and exectives on defending job selection grievances or human rights/ombudsperson complaints over hiring decisions. I also have hired hundreds of people throughout the years in various management capacities. That should validate my advice.

Take my advice as a professional ... cover letters matter a lot.
Appreciate 4
David0ff1060.50
bimmette6455.50
jaye9441019.00