04-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #138
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW928 View Post
I don't know about DCT... but coming from the DSG in my TDI Jetta, it has a LONG way to go in the smarter category. While it shifts great for acceleration runs (no way a human is going to beat it, in general), it's horrible about down-shifting or picking the right gear for the situation.

In fact, unless you're willing to run it in 'S' mode (which has downsides with a diesel and back-pressure), it's probably the worst 'auto' transmission I've driven. (And, unfortunately, the self-shift is backwards to my brain, so I've used that little.)

While I think it ('10 Jetta TDI) is a fairly quick car in it's class, my wife thinks it's a dog and almost dangerously slow, as she keeps it in 'D'. When trying to make maneuvers in traffic, I'd tend to agree. It's *SLOW* to react, even though it can actually do the shift in a fraction of a second. It's quite a bit better in 'S' but even so, I'd say just on par with a more typical automatic then.

AI has a long way to go (if ever, IMO) in terms of estimating when and what gear to shift into, the way anyone with a year or two of manual-transmission experience does.
I agree with some of what you said, but if you bought a dct thinking it was an auto torque converter gearbox, it is definitely not. I drive the dct manually, as it was meant to be driven.

That said, the PDK is better and at the top of the dct autos.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0