Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinco000 View Post
Hi guys, I have an issue with my aircon. When using it, everything is fine. But then next time I get into the car and leave the aircon off, just vents air circulation, there is an unpleasant smell coming from the vents.
Any advice what the cause might be and how to solve it?
All advice will be much appreciated.
So this smell is quite a common issue and it is not related to the cabin air filter or the blower.

Issue lies in the A/C evaporator. As it cools and hot air comes in contact with it, it creates condensation. Due to the heat, moisture and dark environment the evaporator sits in, it becomes a perfect condition for mold bacteria to build up. The smell you are experiencing is mold. This mold growth occurs when you run your ac during your drive and then park your car.

Only true way to clean this properly is to remove the whole dashboard in order to gain access to the evaporator. As you can imagine no easy task and a major pain in the ass.

Alternative way is to buy dedicated evaporator cleaners with a long straw that insert through the air vents. You empty the can inside and the cleaner attacks the mold.

Problem is that there is no solution to the root cause due to bad design. Smell will get eliminated, however it will return once a significant amount of mold has built up again.

One way to minimize the possibility of reoccurrence is to ensure that the A/C is shut off few minutes before your destination and just run the blower on high to blow out/dry off any built up condensation.

There are a few threads on here that go in depth on this topic and cleaning procedures.
I was hoping to hear that there is diy how to physically remove the mold rather than just killing it ( im obc) but removing the dashboard is not an option for me
Appreciate 0