View Single Post
      03-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
I recently picked up a new-to-me 2012 335i with the 8 speed auto.

The auto trans is the best I've ever felt, and blows away the GM 6L45 my e90 328i had.

I had a question for you guys. I notice when accelerating moderately from a stand still, this trans seems to reduce power between shifts, noticeably. I'm assuming this is done to extend the life of the clutches in the trans?

I drove a 2018 330i which I assume has the same trans, however I did not notice this reduction in power during shifts, it was more a smooth constant power delivery, with greater clutch slip. It felt more like a traditional trans. Did anyone else notice this minor variation in shift calibration? Perhaps it's a 4cyl vs 6cyl shift calibration, due to torque differences??
Your transmission is a ZF-8. The LCI cars (2017+ I think) use a slightly different 8-speed. My sisters got a 440i; didn't really feel that much different than mine when i was driving normally. I like the ZF-8 tho, cuz of its strength.

What mode was this in? Not sure what you mean by that feeling, but I sometimes feel I bit of a "limit" effect when in comfort, but not really in sport+.

I remember when working on my current map, the TCU was suspected to be limiting my boost levels in third gear.
I4 M50 (coming soon)

Last edited by Aatish; 03-18-2018 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0