View Single Post
      03-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
The goal is to safely increase boost and advance timing. From what I've read, the added cooling effect, octane boost and fuel from meth will allow for that. I'm also interested in cooling IATs at my current boost levels during hot summer months.

So in your experience, the standalone controllers seem to work well? How does it integrate, signal wise, with the vehicle? Do they tap into the DME somehow or do they have their own sensor or sensors the control meth flow?
Any kit will do that, the precaution you have to take is if you increase timing to where it is unsafe without the methanol, and something on the kit fails, you will nuke your engine pretty quickly. I would personally never install it as a "poor mans fuel system", or a "poor mans race fuel", however most vehicles ive installed it on saw a solid 30-40 hp gain from the cooling effect and octane on an otherwise stock tune. If your IATs are very high, such as in the case of running more boost, the gains will be even higher.

Generally the kits are set with either a boost activated signal, or a MAF activated signal, either of which works depending on your goal. The nice thing about the MAF controllers is you can typically slope the methanol injection to rise with more airflow so it doesn't spike too rich down low, or run leaner than you want up top. However some just prefer the keep it simple stupid method of setting a boost amount where it comes on and not having to do anything as its super simple, always works, and tends to be very consistent. The MAF controllers are best dialed in with a wideband air fuel meter connected to see which amount does what, and where it benefits, but ideally you would want both kits on a dyno, although ive installed at least half without either and had no issue, it just requires driving and testing.

As far as install, its 4 wires... power, ground, pump output and MAF trigger / Hobbs switch trigger. Most of the install time comes from either figuring out where to mount the meth tank, where to tap the line in (unless you have a charge pipe setup already), or if you do them how I like to, tap the factory windshield washer tank for methanol so when youre low, the factory "low washer fluid" light comes on. Methanol is basically cold climate washer fluid anyway, so it works fine for windshields, and as long as the washer fluid youre buying is 50/50 mix of water/meth and doesn't have any added detergents, it can be used as methanol for your engine as well, although id personally advise just buying automotive fuel grade methanol from a reputable dealer, or summit racing has it for cheap with free shipping over $100.
Appreciate 3