CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoce1 View Post
I installed the Awron Gauge a few weeks ago. Very nice mod. Feels like I have a personal Dyno in the car, all the time. It actually showed me 451HP at one time and I wasn't even at red line (Car is completely stock). Awesome tool to have in the car.

One big plus with it, is that it shows you current Water and Oil temperature. I noticed that the temperature fluctuates. I usually drive the car in Sport (Throttle) Mode. Today, I realized that when you switch to Sport Plus, the water temperature drops by almost 50 Degrees and Oil Temperature drops by almost 20 Degrees. The Water temperature drops almost within 30-60 Seconds after you switch to sport plus. Oil temperature follows right after.

It is pretty incredible to see how much the Sport Plus mode changes the car characteristics. Makes sense for this to happen, so that you can push the car a lot more and not overheat. I wonder why they did not make the car keep such low temperature at all times. Does that mean, it is not good to constantly drive in Sport Plus? Is it maybe better to drive constantly in Sport Plus, to keep the temperature always low?

I went to both BMW Performance driving schools (South Carolina and California). Neither one of these schools suggested that we drive the cars in Sport Plus. They basically always said, pick whatever works best for you. Seems like a great idea to keep the car in Sport Plus, especially on the track. The temperature in California was 115 outside. Would have been a great day to tell everyone to switch to Sport Plus, to prevent overheating. Either way, not one of the cars overheated, but seems like a good advice to give people that are beating on the cars.

Just wanted to share this with everyone. If I would not have the Awron Gauge, I would not have noticed this big change between Sport and Sport Plus (in regards to temperature).

First picture is in Sport Mode.

Second photo is in Sport Plus Mode.
And there is a reason fo this. In general terms, a hotter engine runs more efficiently from fuel consumption stand point (better combustion thermal efficiency from lower heat loss) and a cooler engine makes more power (better resistance to pre-ignition allows for more advance on timing).

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-09-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0