03-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #158
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i tend to think of things like this with actual costs... driving my beater and having it as my primary commuter does have an insurance benefit- i'm able to set the deductible high on my smart car (it cost $5,600- so who cares if i wreck it). i have my primary driver as a shitty car with a high deductible. that makes the m3 insurance go down- i put less miles on the more expensive car. this is how insurance calculates things. also, with a multi-policy discount, insurance costs are minimal.
fuel costs alone offset my overall costs driving the smart. once you factor in tires, more frequent oil changes, brake pads, it makes more sense.

i'm not trying to convince you or change your mind- just know it has been considered and found to be negligible. i'm saving a ton of money for the same result, and we get to enjoy an m3, just in different ways. i also don't have to stress about how i'm going to be able to get sideways though a driveway dip during traffic, and i don't care about parking anywhere i fit. i love driving this trash bucket because that stress is completely removed. lol

All of those costs are minimal and negligible to many...but truly they mean zero to me in my decision. If the focus is only on cost...the aspect of usage is nothing more than a budgeting question.

It's all personal preference and truly subjective based on self.

I don't purchase items to save them. For me...the point of purchasing a consumable good (auto or not) is to use and enjoy regularly. I place a large focus on utility throughout my daily life - that SMART car would rust in my garage lol
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11593.00
Efthreeoh17472.50