04-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #16
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
I'm a professional ticket fighter as a part time job (j/k, but I have enough experience to be one). And demerit points are actually on your record for 3 years.
Keep in mind, insurance companies also get wind of these things every now and then when they renew your policy or random record checks. Some companies generally have the 3 strikes you're out rule. So even if its under 15kmh ticket, 3 of those you could get kicked into high risk.
I'm glad you fight those tickets too! I like that attitude!

However, demerit points are only a Ministry thing and not an insurance thing. The ministry only counts points from the previous 2 years. Insurance companies on the other hand will keep a record of convictions (not demerit points) usually for 3 years. You can check the MTO website if you don't believe me.

And yes, insurance companies don't always check to see if you got any new tickets. It costs them money to do it, so they don't check everyone every year. I've also heard that it's better to be with an insurance broker rather than the insurance company itself 'cause brokers want to keep your business so they try not to raise your premiums. Companies/brokers will check though any time you change your policy or open a new policy with them, so if you have recent tickets, then it's probably not a good idea to switch companies.
Appreciate 0