Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
True, but the A4 only comes as a 4 cylinder. The S4 (the M340i competitor) is he only one with a V6 and it's only sold as an automatic; even in Europe. People just aren't buying manuals like they used to.
That's being pedantic. The S4 is just an A4 with a bigger engine and sport package. We all know what 6MTFTMFW is talking about.

Carmakers like Audi, Lexus, and Genesis all seemed to think the American market would rather have the base engine with a manual in the A4 2.0T, IS250, and G70 2.0T. Those failures led to the demise of the manual in all those cars. I wonder if they had instead made the manual available in the 6 cylinder cars if that would have made a difference in adoption rate. Maybe more enthusiasts would have purchased those cars. Nah, that's probably just a pipe dream.

It's interesting to think about though. In Europe, people who get the cheaper cars generally get the manual for lower cost. But in America, people in the past couple decades really only got the manual for performance, not so much cost. So maybe the American market would have reacted differently.
Appreciate 3
clee1982802.50