johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeF31 View Post
Koni does not spec Special Active/FSD for anything other than stock springs — standard and M-Sport. That's straight from Koni support when I was looking into them for my F31.

I do know of one person who put them on an E60 with lowering springs and the struts wore way too quickly. However the car had active sways and the Konis replaces active struts so that may have contributed.

And, of course, it's a sample of one.
FYI- you can definitely use "mild" lowering springs with Koni Special Actives. Mild is defined as about 3/4" drop. So for my 2015 335ix that meant either of these two:
Eibach F0.8"/R0.6" so eliminates some of xdrive reverse rake wheel gap. About 10% stiffer than stock
Dinan 0.75" all around. About 30% stiffer than stock

I went with the KoniSA/Eibach combination which Koni North America actually tested and approved.

I got all of my information directly from Koni NA technical support before the Special Actives were released in the US over a year ago. There is a communication issue at play here. I had numerous phone and email conversations. It became apparent that when Koni says "SA's are not for lowering springs", they define lowering springs as about 1.0" or more.

Whenever I asked specifically about Eibachs or Dinans I was told "oh they are mild, they're fine. We tested with the Eibachs in NA." So in Koni-speak mild (3/4" drop) springs are considered the same as stock height springs. They are not considered to be lowering springs.

I also had several conversations with them about bump stops. They swore up and down that with the Eibachs the stock bump stops were fine. They said that if any modification such as shaving or replacement were necessary they would tell me. They even repeated their calculations using the Eibach drop and said that stock bump stops were right there within their tolerances.

The KoniSA/Eibach combination has been great! Made the rough roads and highway seams much smoother but at the same time they really handle the curves.

Note: The "mild drop" Eibachs that I refer to above have a -06 in the middle of the part number. The -05 have about a 1.5" drop.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
otay826.00