View Single Post
      06-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
I did the transmission fluid recently using ISTA and its not too bad. FCP's instructions are a great primer for doing it. Its actually pretty easy to do imo; just a bit messy if you splill fluid. I'd recommend a good fluid pump over the cheapy one that fcp recommends in their kit however!

The front diff is pretty easy to do on my car. I just needed an 8" extension to reach the fill plug through the wheel on the driver side. Draining is dead simple on the front as there's a drain plug.

t-case is a bit tight but fairly straightforward from what I could see. You'll want to support the trans and drop the transmission brace to get access to the fill plug. You'll also need a flexible extractor hose or a hook style one to get to the bottom of the case while under the car to suck out the fluid.

Rear diff on my car was a bit of a pain to get to the fill plug. There's a vibration damper in the way along with some v bracing specific to the f31. I suspect it'll be easier on other models but once you figure out how to get around the obstructions, the rear diff is also dead simple. Not sure why BMW decided to remove the drain plugs on the t-case and diff but it really makes things annoying!
Thanks for sharing. I plan on doing this myself in the coming weeks via ISTA. Out of curiosity, does the car maintain the transmission temperature levels once it reaches the minimum threshold? e.g., if it requires to be 40-50 C, once it hits 40 C, does it stay below 50 C?

Also, I got the same cheap pump... lol. Any tips/tricks for the exact pump?
Appreciate 0