Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
I am insanely OCD about this as I'm sure you know from past BMW vehicles on this forum. My first step is always getting the stock windows measured at a local inspection station, etc. so you know the baseline you're working with and can do math from there.

Of course there is even variation in rolls of film - a company can calls it's tint 20% but the VLT is really 18% but one roll vs another may be 17% vs 19%. Of course you can't control that and it wouldn't be noticeable to the human eye likely but in case you're wondering why the end result doesn't meter exactly what you thought it's good to know.

If you're keeping it completely stock in rears then yes 15% will likely be the best match. It will still look a little lighter than rear in very direct sunlight but 90% of the time it's perfect. I've seen 10% on the front with stock rear and IMO it looks weird if the front is even a little darker than rear, I'd rather go the other way slightly.

If BMW SUVs continue to use similar glass the best two matches I've found for color etc are Formula One Pinnacle and Xpel Prime XR.

I always go over the rear windows with ~80% tint so the math gets even more fun. Let us know what you end up with! Our X7 is arriving later this week, woohoo!
Helpful, thanks. It's so much easier tinting a car without factory tint.

My go-to tint shop uses Llumar CTX Ceramic and they don't make a 20% which I think will be the ideal match. They have 15% or 30%.

I'd rather it appear lighter up front but think the 30% will be too light vs. the stock rears. Or I could to the rears at 50% but then would have to bump up the front side windows to 5% and that's too dark.

Looks like I'll land on the Llumar CTX 15%.
Why not just test the 15% on the fronts only for few days and see how that sits with you.
With the windshield untinted it might be a color match