View Single Post
      09-02-2020, 04:09 AM   #106
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryPuff View Post
I had my car in today at the dealership to check the HU for any fault codes etc. I have folding mirrors, B&O sound, Auto start-stop coded off. I did used to have ASD off, which I returned to stock as that throws a code on the ASD ecu.
I was with the tech when he connected the car to ista to read codes and troubleshoot some stuff. Nothing flagged out on his end at all about the coding. He did mention that if your car is remapped, that flag up straight away and the vehicle black flagged with BMW with no warranty for drive train etc.
Another thing he mentioned was car play being activated 'without proper BMW channels' and the iDrive system can then get bricked, used to require replacements, but now they're recoverable, albeit it costing around £500 or so, as opposed to £2k for a replacement.
The headunits are not bricked, they just have an FSC code mismatch. Again, with the right tools this can be sorted for a lot less than £500.

The BMW Tech is referring to FASTA Data - when ISTA is plugged into the car, it logs everything and in a verbose manner, meaning that it will check the software signatures and checksums against BMW's servers, if there is a mismatch then it will get flagged for tampering.
Appreciate 3
RustyBitz1573.50
dazzapb1051.00