09-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #60
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
There is a distinct possibility it might be pre-wired. During my research on brake controllers, I found a thread over on the G05 forum where owners found wires under the dash on the driver side for a brake controller. They then installed the BMW brake controller (just a rebranded popular brake controller brand, I forget which though), after purchasing a few OEM harness plugs. Based on the similarities between the X5 and X7, seemed logical that the X7 could also be pre-wired.

Seemed pretty straight forward, and I was ready to give it a try. But after I saw the Curt Echo model, I did not feel the need. Also, even if the wiring is behind the dash of the X7, at the time of my research, BMW did on officially support a wired brake controller retrofit for the G05/G07, at least not in the US. Of course, doing things BMW has not officially supported does not necessarily mean much if it still works...
Wow, I hadn't heard of the Curt Echo model, thanks for that!

Pretty sure the BMW controller is a rebranded Tekonsha model, and not even a high-end one, at that.
Appreciate 0