12-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #23
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
but the 335 is viewed mostly as chick car regardless, even in the usa, I mean even on american movies you do not see the guys driving around in their 335. You could argue the 335 is more capable of 90% of the cars presented on movies, however you would see american V8s , subarus , hondas , nissans way before you see a bmw , and if you get to see a bmw , its probably a M one.

To be honest with you heavier and less tight does not mean crap for the market of the bmw 335. It is not a sports car, its more of a luxury car. 99% of people buying these cars are not going to go anywhere near a track period. They will not even drive the car to 50% of its potential on curves.
People are already scare enough with the maintenance bill on these cars to be risking potential mechanical issues for driving them hard.

This heavier argument is also not really valid , a 303 hp car is plenty capable , and they can even be tune for more power. Convertible or not , this car is fast for the street. The less tight argument is even worst, I have yet to see someone throwing their 335i around outside the track like it was a Miata.

To me BMW brand is more about style, luxury and some sportiness in that order.

I understand these cars are more accessible now and more people are trying to make them sports cars, but again the market is floated with 335i coupes, I have seen them as low as 8000 $ canadian . I have never seen a convertible for that price. To me a convertible is marketed for the guys with deeper pockets that want something up from a regular coupe. Someone that wants to look rich , have a garage queen type of car , and still have some sportiness

I actually would prefer a used convertible over a coupe if I were to use it around town. Chances are the guy who owned it did not race the car , or track the car . You can even argue that the few convertibles for sale are usually in better shape than the coupes. A lot of the coupes I see for sale are usually somewhat modded too , so I kind of know whoever owned it probably beat the crap out it hahah
Well we were talking coupes vs convertibles, not 335i vs other cars/M3, so not sure how you got on about the 335 being a chick car and we never see them in movies. Of course movies are going to choose the sportiest car BMW makes, which would be an "M" if the intent is to have a sporty bmw/luxury brand.

You're entitled to your opinion, not going to argue or try to change your mind. Just telling you how convertibles are looked at in the USA by almost every younger-mid aged person that I have talked to, and why they are generally cheaper here........

You're right on a few things, heavier/less rigidity doesn't mean much to most people buying regular BMW's.

Anyways, lets not derail OP's thread any further by discussing irrelevant opinions
Appreciate 0