02-14-2021, 02:22 AM  
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4 View Post
Does anyone out here understand why picking a BMW Individual Paint color means you lose Lane Change Assist? Seems like one should have nothing to do with the other.
Below is my translation and interpretation for LCA deactivation when ordering 490 paints:

"Please note that with 490 BMW Individual paint the function "Lane change assistant" which is a part of option 5AU "Driving assistant professional" has to be deactivated. This happens by adding option 8TR "decoding additional function"

https://www.g20-forum.de/forum/threa...k-lane-assist/

The problem with the new radar sensors is that the different paints reflect or scatter the radar waves differently. In the development phase, every BMW standard production paint is tested and optimized for radar compatibility, but the majority of BMW Individual Manufaktur 490 paints (developed pre-LCA) have not been tested. It may well be that the sensors works without any problems - or there may be many false or non-detections.

Ensuring the radar compatibility of the current catalog of 490 paints is time-consuming, complex and costly according to factory sources and the fact that there aren't significant numbers of 490 paint orders for BMW to justify.

Additional notes regard 490 paint thickness:

"The individual paints are thicker BUT the layer thickness depends on the particular paint, not whether it is individual or series. Mineral white has, for example, always been thicker because the homogeneity is worse with a thin coat of paint than with other paints (otherwise it looks cloudy)."

Appreciate 2