View Single Post
      09-23-2021, 04:36 AM   #31
Darth Niloc
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
It tends to be the less technically capable tuners who advise you to remove the DPF, the guys that really know their stuff will leave it on. I have seen BWChiptine post his rolling road graphs showing around 290 BHP on a 330d with the DPF still fitted. Abviously all these numbers are subjective as all rolling roads will read slightly differently and if they have been calibrated properly.

In the UK it's illegal and an MOT fail if you remove it. Also your car will smell pretty bad. Where I live there are loads of builders vans, and I seem to keep getting stuck behind the ones that have had their DPF removed and they stink, it makes you feel sick of you are stuck behind one for any length of time, especially in traffic.
Interesting you aren't the old person to have said this. I have never tuned a diesel before, its always been petrol and the advice then was always any restriction of any kind = bad. I've read many articles/guides/posts and have read through countless project build threads for 30d's and 35d's and all of them advocate removing the DPF. Wagner tuning and Ecotune both recommend it and even Darkside Developments who I personally rate as a top BMW tuner recommend removing the DPF and EGR as part of their stage one package.

Is it a case of BWChiptune getting good results with the DPF fitted but even better results if it was gone? I understand the legality of removing the DPF but I have been assured that it won't cause a problem with the MOT and it is something that I will end up spending £££ to repair/replace at some point. You have thrown me a curve ball late in the game as I thought I had it all figured out and decided on lol. The car is booked in for next week so I will speak to the tuner again and see what he thinks.

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
Appreciate 0