toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
As a heavy X7 enthusiast and owner, here's my $.02 on lots of details:
  • Generally, I like it
  • These are my 85% first impressions, and will reserve final judgement until I see it in person. (i.e. illuminated grill)
  • So far, I'm only seeing some things I would consider "improvements" on the X7. A lot seems to me to just be different styling, particularly the front end. Not necessarily an improvement, but not bad either. Actual improvements seem to be in iDrive, driver assistance, engines, and transmission, so we do get some new techy stuff. Pretty much the definition of LCI refreshes.
  • That front end is the most dramatic change and is sure to spark large coversation. I think the Luxury line (see the gray 40i car) is a little wonky with the inlaid chrome. But at least it has less chrome than the current Luxury line. IMHO the Sport line (see the blue M60i pics) nose looks better, but I strongly prefer Sport on the current model as well
  • Note that the M60i side rearview mirrors now are the sport mirrors from the X5M, with the extra inward point. More aggressive looking. Some people like them, some don't. I considered putting them on my MY2021 M50i, but decided against it as they are indeed much more aggressive.
  • Yay, we finally get the carbon/aluminum/sport interior trim I've been wanting on the X7 from the beginning
  • On that note, IMHO shadowline blacked out exterior trim option is still the way to go
  • Not sure about this M or X7 illuminate badging on the interior dash trim in front of the passenger. Hopefully that's optional, but press release seems to indicate it's now standard. I'd prefer a cleaner and classy look of the dash, that's not all marked up
  • Illuminated front kidney grill option? Meh, okay. Will see what it looks like in person. Don't need to turn the X7 into more of a bling bling mobile.
  • Will have to see these new rear tail lights operating in person. Sounds interesting, and appearance in the videos in this thread looks good. "Glass" covers instead of the usual plastic? Interesting.
  • Interesting add of the ///M to the front grill on the M60i. I'd prefer it cleaner without it
  • Looks to be a small change to the M60i exhaust tips. I like it.
  • 23" wheels available for the first time to non-Alpina models. It was inevitable, the way the car market keeps going bigger and bigger rims. Personaly, I'm not as attracted that particular 23" rim.
  • I'm not sure yet about the new large continuous dash "Curved Display". Will see how it looks in person. But iDrive 8 should be exciting.
  • Updates to HUD appearance look good in those videos
  • Air vent redesign looks okay, but I'm not sure why they did it. Current vents work and look fine. Probably felt compelled going to iDrive 8 and large curved display. But I'm thinking it's not a good idea that they've gotten rid of the small environment display, where you can easily see the current settings, fan speed, temperatures, etc. It's now all moved up into the new curved display, which already has limited real estate for information. Similarly, got rid of physical buttons for environmental control changes, heated seat controls, etc? Ehhhhhh...
  • So far, I'm not seeing ANY indication BMW re-designed the 2nd/3rd row seating controls, as is sorely needed. Still seeing the same buttons. Will there be any improvement to this? The 2nd video in this thread says the Captain's Chairs still don't fold down, like they should. At least faster seat motor movement speeds would have been nice, but the video shows the exact same operation. Seats and 2nd row captain's chairs floor console all look the same as current, in the press pics and videos. I had big expectations that BMW would make significant seating control changes, as this was one of the biggest X7 owner complaints, right from the beginning of X7 production.
  • Small thing, but it looks like they added the seat quilting pattern to the lower "pocket" portion of the front seat back, which is an improvement to the 2nd row appearance.
  • Not seeing any indication of changes or upgrades to audio sound systems
  • Looks like the seatback accessory slots now have two USB-C outlets instead of one each.
  • Let's talk shifter console. Shifter knob is now a little lever--okay, different style, but I think I actually prefer a knob. Note that not only is AS/S button gone (as was expected), but the camera record button is gone, as is the Adaptive driving mode! This last one is big for me, as I like it so much, I even had my X7 coded to default to the Adaptive driving mode upon every startup. Maybe this is just unique to that 40i model pic, if it doesn't have the Dynamic Handling Package. We'll see--press release seems to indicate that may be the case. I see a "TEL" button in front of the iDrive controller has replaced another button on the current X7 model.
  • Due to the NTHSA **FINALLY** approving anti-dazzle matrix lights in the USA, these should hopefully finally be enabled from the factory on LCI models
  • New M Marina Bay Blue exterior paint on the M60i? Okay. Maybe that's the blue LCI pics shown. We already have several blues, though, and don't think you can get better than Tanzanite Blue II. New "Sparkling Copper Grey"? Okay, but we already have several grays, too. We need a silver, like the classic BMW Titanium metallic silver. At least the grey on that 40i in the press pics looks a little silver in some lights.
  • New 48V hybrid add to both engines. Cool power boost on the 40i. But even though M50i becomes M60i, the hybrid add doesn't seem to come with any power boost, only change in operation efficiency. New XB7 seems to be even hotter.
  • New transmission sounds nice, including this new "Sprint" function
  • Press release indicates that suspension should be improved. Will have to check it out
  • New "vegan" seat material on base 40i. Whatever. But Full Merino leather option returns in multiple colors of black, white, Tartufo, and white/grey. I wanted Full Black on mine, but option was removed in MY2021/2022. Poo. Is the current signature Full white/blue option being discontinued?
  • Yay that we now have 5G data
  • Expanded functionality of "Digital Key Plus" sounds cool
  • New physical key fobs look more flashy than functional. I don't need an artistic key fob that'll sit in my pocket.
  • Groovy new trailer towing functions
  • New Maneuver Assistant sounds really neat, including being able to control from outside the car via the MyBMW app. But I'm wondering just how precise it is. Seems most needed for tight parking garages and such, but is it precise enough to do it right, on its own?
  • On that note, WHERE IS THE AUTOMATIC HEIGHT SUSPENSION OPERATION WE'VE BEEN ASKING FOR? i.e. the X7 automatically adjusting the suspension to a preselected option height, (like low entry height) every time the ignition is switched off. And suspension height control from the MyBMW app while outside the vehicle. This is the #1 most requested feature on the X7, and we've been hoping it would appear on the LCI.

Looking forward to seeing the LCI in person and checking out all these things.
Great summary, nailed it, WB.

I’m very concerned about the loss of physical buttons, gearshift, and zero improvement to the speed/functionality of the electric seats. Why is BMW getting so radical with the largest/most expensive car that’s got the highest age demographic? My wife took 3 years to figure out how to operate our 2019. She’s going to lose her sh-t with the 2022.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00