06-11-2022, 03:28 PM   #8
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
While I am not a fan of this concept... there is certainly something to be said about the universality between cars and everything functioning the same between brands. Apple Carplay has done something that in my mind was unthinkable a few years back and I think that I couldn't live without it now. There is no OEM system that can match its app library, crowdsourcing updates, usage of waze or any map app and tons of music apps... when I get a rental and it has carplay, it's all there ready for me to go... if I don't have that, I feel I just went backwards 15 years.
CarPlay as is today is a bit of a life-saver if the OEM infotainment setup is old or new but shit or you don't have time to fettle with it in a rental. Them OEM-looking aftermarket units with CarPlay are ideal for older cars, you know, like the 2000s BMWs with the 16:9 nav, or old Mercs with Command.

On the other hand, if this extended CarPlay is really a thing, your rentals will all look and feel the same. 14 brands, all with identical things on their huge screens. I don't know. I'm already not a fan of virtually identical Live Cockpit instrument clusters on all CLAR-based BMWs. Same gauges on an M340 as on an M850. Don't like that. Yes, they've always been similar, but now with digital displays it's easier and cheaper than ever to change things up from model to model.