View Single Post
      07-31-2022, 06:43 PM   #21
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

I was able to fit 19" MSW wheels on my '22 X7 M50. There is adequate brake clearance. Tires are 275/55 r19 square (0.64% greater diameter compared to stock), the ones I have specifically are Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus 3 (non-runflat).

Before/after pictures attached below.

Lots of all-season tire options available in this size; the high quality ones are around $250-325. For winters there's the Blizzak DM-V2, currently $240, crackerjack15 showed those in post #4 here.

The wheels including new TPMS sensors are roughly $300 each, about the same for all 6 styles.

Tire Rack apparently takes detailed measurements of all the cars & wheels they support and uses that data to ensure fitment. For 19" on the X7 M50, Tire Rack only shows 3 styles of wheels, all from MSW, with 2 color options available in each style. They showed a lot more 19" wheel options for the X7 40i without M-Sport brakes, which I took as a sign that their measurements and compatibility info was correct.

Brake clearance when installed is adequate, I made a measuring tool out of folded paper and found min 3.5-4mm clearance on the front and 3-3.5mm on the rear. From what I've read online, 3mm is universally regarded as enough to be safe (for expansion due to heat and for flex over bumps and when cornering). 2mm also seems to be commonly accepted as adequate clearance, and a few aftermarket companies say that as little as 1.5mm is enough.

I haven't had any issues yet after a few hundred miles. Edit: Still no issues after a few thousand miles, including fast mountain driving with lots of heavy braking. The reduced grip was very noticeable when taking corners coming downhill off the mountain, it takes a lot of traction to counteract gravity and you don't have much left over for cornering. But traction is not an issue in day to day driving or when cornering on flat & uphill sections.

There is a very noticeable difference in grip compared to the stock summer tires. These new wheels are skinnier (275 vs 285 front / 315 rear) and they have A/S rubber instead of the incredibly soft stock Continental tires. Doing fast left turns at intersections, it's not too hard to get these to squeal. The summers would have just stuck without any fuss. Ride comfort is a bit better, not a huge difference. Tire noise seems to be about the same. Treadwear on these should be much, much better than the Contis, and of course they'll also be much cheaper to replace when they wear out.

I do honestly think that these look quite a bit better than the stock wheels/tires. The wheels look great, and the entire package is better proportioned and is closer to what you expect to see on a SUV. The brakes also look better when they fill up the wheels. Just need to get some BMW center caps to finish it off, they look a bit off with the black MSW center caps. And black lug bolt covers.
Attached Images

Last edited by PinkNinja400Guy; 03-23-2023 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 1