10-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #87
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I can speak to the Navigator vs X7 since I have both.

The Navigator seats are superior, but the leather is true TRASH. The look of the dashboard in the Navigator is also good, but the material of the dashboard itself and the metallic-finished strips is trash. The X7 is better quality materials, but it is NOT better in luxury (they are equal and both are just fine in luxury terms). Neither the X7 nor the Navigator should be what you should get if the goal is a true luxury SUV, which is why I think what makes the X7 unique is the 50i or 60i variant since it is a sport SUV with some acceptable level of luxury.

The Range Rover as well as a loaded Escalade (new gen) with magnetic ride are closer to a true luxury SUV than all other options. The Maybach variant of the GLS is a true luxury SUV too. To emphasize that BMW never aimed to make a luxury SUV as much as they cared about a SPORTY SUV is that their Maybach GLS sister is the Alpina X7 which is a sporty SUV. X7 was never designed with luxury in mind, but rather as a sport SUV with comfort ride also being in mind, which is why it drives like a sedan sometimes.

If you really want a luxury SUV, you are probably missing a lot with the X7. That is the same exact reason I question the 40i since you are compromising luxury already since it is not a luxury SUV anyway and then you also compromise the main design goal of the X7 like any other BMW, which is being a sporty vehicle. The 50i 60i (and arguably the Alpina) are truly the peak of what you can get out of the X7, in that case, a true sporty SUV that drives like a sedan to some level.
Well again, the Range Rover similarly equipped is quite a bit more expensive. And the Escalade, while it rode nicely, I had the same impressions about its quality of materials that you have with the Navigator. So I don't understand what, for the price, is more luxurious than the X7.

I totally understand getting an X7 for its sporty nature in the large 3 row SUV segment and I totally understand opting for the m50/60i over the 40i. But for whatever reason you don't seem to understand why someone would consider it for its luxury (which is my primary reason). I don't care how well the m50i/60i accelerates and handles, it will be destroyed by my sports sedan. So for that reason, I view large 3 row SUVs from a luxury lens. A large 3 row that also handles well, for my purposes, is a bonus, not the primary draw of it.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2