12-01-2022, 11:36 PM   #13
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZupra4 View Post
I would like to know how you encountered the G29 and when and why you bought it and how you felt when you first test drove or outright bought it? And how they compared to your other BMWs?
My G29 is my first BMW ever. When I started shopping, I really wasn't shopping BMWs.

I had a couple of Miatas ('07 and '12) that were a blast to drive but the cockpit was cramped, seats rather uncomfortable for long trips, and trunk was tiny. The wife loved the look of the MINI so we went through a couple of MINI Cooper S convertibles ('16 and '19) but ultimately they just didn't trip my trigger.

This past summer, I started looking for a new sporty convertible, wanted new rather than used. It's a short list: Mustang, nope; Camaro, nope; Audi TT, maybe; MB SLC, no longer in production; Corvette, out of my price range when optioned the way I desired; Boxster, out of my price range when optioned out.

Running out of options, I looked at BMW models. I'd looked at a 2 series convertible a few years back (an alternative to the MINI) but wasn't excited about it. This time, I took a look at a 4 series convertible and gave it some serious thought but then it suddenly hit me one day: I didn't care for the MINI ultimately because it wasn't a roadster. I've dearly loved every one of my two-seaters, my '71 MGB I drove as a teen, my two Miatas, and even my '83 Datsun which was a very first new car purchase.

It was only then that I started looking at the G29. I was familiar with and had driven E85s and E89s and was underwhelmed by both the looks and the ride. I didn't realize BMW had developed the G29 and had never seen one before. Upon researching it, it was pretty much love at first site. It was the complete package that I had been seeking: sporty and unique design, excellent performance, two seat convertible, comfortable seats and relatively roomy interior (for a roadster), and a spacious trunk. Icing on the cake: good fuel economy and (barely) within my price range (s30i not M40i).

Soon I discovered they had ceased production on the s30i at the end of June but discovered one nearby, in production. I placed a deposit on it in July, took delivery at the end of August. Thankfully, having never actually driven a G29, it was love at first sight. It's a keeper (unless y'all brainwash me into a M40i down the road ) and, FWIW, only the second car I've ever paid cash for rather than taking out a loan. Perhaps not the best financial investment but certainly the best personal welfare investment.

Sorry for being so long winded but I wanted to share what I suspect is a much different path to the G29 than most of you.
Appreciate 2