View Single Post
      02-23-2023, 07:36 AM   #41
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
EVs are here to stay and will be the future with no real way to unring the bell. There are some near term challenges that are being worked on and the jury is still out on if they’ll be solved (such as charging in shard living environments as well as battery recycling to name a couple). But EVs are currently much cheaper to charge than gas is to fuel. For my PHEV charging at home is less than 1/3rd the cost of a gallon of fuel (and I get more than 1 gallon of fuel equiv for a full EV charge).

EVs are shifting cars to “always on” and that’s a trend that consumers are demanding more of as they expect things to always be connected now. So you can heat/cool the car as needed without being in it, send destinations, check basic satuses for stuff like closed windows and doors. That’s today. Tomorrow becomes cars able to help you find a spot more efficiently by letting you know the car in front just left in a crowded downtown area and other new features I’m not currently creative enough to envision.

It is OK to say “I can’t picture a future different than the one I know” as that’s the realtity for most people. They cling to what they know because seeing a different world that doesn’t yet exist is too hard.

It made no sense that people would pay insane amounts of money for phones in their pockets that didn’t even have basic features work users were thought to have neeeded. It also made no sense that people would upgrade those devices annually when people kept cell phones until they broke as they were basic “appliances”. Yet here we are. Most people own a smartphone in the developed world and they are changed much more frequently on average than “when they are broken”.

EVs will continue to bring some game changing realities for consumers and will be increasingly sought after and eventually you may see the future once it is more clearly in view as the current norm. I’ll admit though, there are still some who think flip phones were the correct reality and that eventually the smartphone bubble will burst and we’ll all be back there… In 2002 paying for “minutes”, “text messages”, and “megabytes”. The way god intended.
You can have your always on car. No thanks for me. When I turn off my car, I want it off. Granted that's really not the case with modern cars as the various computer modules are still running in a standby mode when the engine is off. But none of my vehicles are actively connected to anything accepting or transfering data. And that's the way I want it to be.

Many may view me as a caveman with this view. But I'm far from it. As you've shared that you're in IT, so am I. I've designed and deployed data centers. Heck I have a mini data center in my basement with various firewalls, network switches one of which is a 100Gbps switch, SAN arrays, servers, wireless controllers, etc etc. I just take a more pragmatic view of all this IoT and being connected trend. I don't want my car to be hacked. I don't want my car to be controlled by some arbitrary government mandate that will turn off my car if I'm viewed to have exceeded my "allowed" carbon or kW limits.

It's truly amazing people are so blinded by the propaganda of just giving up their privacy and freedoms to have frivolous conveniences. I remember a thread on the off topic where the praises were being sang about a Ring drone and not thinking clearly what this really means to your privacy and security.
Appreciate 5
M5Rick61832.50
lakefront568.00
Cos270608.50
kyriian890.50
Efthreeoh17483.00