03-21-2023, 12:27 PM   #88
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
It should have started at $130,000, slightly undercutting the Alpina XB7. There is nothing on this vehicle that is special to merit the $160,000 start, and a Cayenne Turbo S E Hybrid doesn't share much with a base Cayenne (for starters all the performance bits, leather, and other things are standard). I have a Cayenne E Hybrid (the V6 one) and it is just as fast as the XM, possibly quicker. My Taycan 4S Cross Turismo is definitely quicker, and my previous iX M60, at $120k blows the XM out of the water (with Air Suspension as standard). BMW has never really charged much for their vehicles, compared to the German competition, and they are attemtping to place themselves in a range that offers much better vehicles that are more bespoke.
Wow, that's $15k less than the starting point on the XB7's $145k starting point.

I have an XB7 and it's incredible, but it's not a huge departure from the X7 M60i. Exhaust, brakes, increased turbos and then some brand bits are the major difference. You're also bit paying for the exclusivity.

The XM makes the pre-LCI XB7 look old. And it outperforms an XB7 while also being able to be 100% electric while bouncing around town with the kids.

Out the door it's actually not much different than an XB7 when you look at the actual cost of ownership. You pretty much have to buy the XB7 as the residuals on a lease are horrible. A dealership with an XM in stock said that for 36 months, with 10k miles the residual for an XM is 54%. That's better than an XB7 enough that out the door, if you lease, the price difference all but disappears.

And I'd disagree with your comment on the Cayennes not sharing much with each trim. Your average person cannot tell each trim from one another. No one will confuse an XM for any other BMW which is what they are going for.
Appreciate 0