04-03-2023, 12:47 PM   #4
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.93]
What you need to know is this: in the grand state of CA, any aftermarket parts that impact emissions (engine upgrades, intakes, turbo, cat, etc) MUST be CARB approved (CA Review Board) to be legal to have installed on a road-driven car.

You can get away with some things, and I'm not here to shame anyone by any means, I think the law is stupid... LOTS of places will just check the minimum. when I bought my M2 (in-state, so it was already registered here and that may have mattered) they just opened the engine bay, glanced in, and ran the OBD-II test (to ensure car was passing itself on emissions). Nothing else.

But I've ALSO run into places that look for an excuse to fail you... because you still have to pay for the inspection... then pay again the next time through.

So just be aware of what you're getting into with this lovely state and plan accordingly.

All that being said, exhaust mods that start after the cat should be fine as long as you have a working muffler (lots of local ordinances against super loud exhausts / muffler deletes). That wont affect emissions, just sound. I just figured it might do you some good to have more of an answer than you actually asked for, haha. Cheers mate, and welcome to the madness of this state.
Appreciate 0