04-22-2023, 08:23 AM   #49
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
I am in a similar tool situation. I have a few M12s and love them. I have a few air tools and love them. Air tools get the job done, period, and each tool is not very expensive. Air compressor and tools are loud.

M12 tools are more expensive per-tool, and then the battery tech obsolescence/wear-out issue arises. M12 has been out for a while, how much longer will Milwaukee stick with it as a current product? Battery tools are lighter and quiet.

I want a right angle tool to drop belly pans for oil changes. 20 small belly pan fasteners take far more time than in should using a manual ratchet. The M12 standard drill-driver is too large to fit under the car to remove the belly pan screws. I have a 1/4" right angle air ratchet from Harbor Freight that I paid $30 for. It gets the job done but is very loud and I have to fire up the compressor (loud) and wrestle with the air hose to use it. An M12 right angle tool would be easy and fast, and high torque for this job is not needed.

So do I take one more step onto the slippery battery slope with M12 tools? Or buy a higher quality air ratchet which would still be less expensive than an M12?
I'd get a compact 1/4-drive air ratchet. They are unbeatable for engine bay work.

I started with M12 to replace my old Milwaukee drill driver from the late 1990's; the pre-lithium batteries all died. That tool was for house repair and it was big and heavy. I read a comparo in Popular Mechanics that included the M12 1/4-Hex impact, which blew away the other tools in the test. And all the M12 I have are mainly house repair tools. But Milwaukee does make an M12 magnetic-base light meant for car lifts, so that is my next buy. Like EV, the battery form factor dictates the size and weight of the product. The M12 battery configuration is ideal IMO.

But like I said, compressed air is vital for automotive repair, so I'm not going to convert to all electric for the auto shop side of my garage. The last thing I need are more tools. But I'd like to get a mini air saw at some point and a descaler.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
chassis6698.00