04-22-2023, 09:02 AM   #50
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'd get a compact 1/4-drive air ratchet. They are unbeatable for engine bay work.

I started with M12 to replace my old Milwaukee drill driver from the late 1990's; the pre-lithium batteries all died. That tool was for house repair and it was big and heavy. I read a comparo in Popular Mechanics that included the M12 1/4-Hex impact, which blew away the other tools in the test. And all the M12 I have are mainly house repair tools. But Milwaukee does make an M12 magnetic-base light meant for car lifts, so that is my next buy. Like EV, the battery form factor dictates the size and weight of the product. The M12 battery configuration is ideal IMO.

But like I said, compressed air is vital for automotive repair, so I'm not going to convert to all electric for the auto shop side of my garage. The last thing I need are more tools. But I'd like to get a mini air saw at some point and a descaler.
Great comments, thanks. I have a cheap Chinesium 1/4" air ratchet. It is crazy loud. I think they stripped all sound muffling off the thing to sell at a low price point.

Do you think other brands (Craftsman, Kobalt, Ingersoll, Dewalt) would be quieter? Even a higher priced air ratchet is less money than a battery tool. The money factor is peanuts, it's just the principle of the thing!
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17487.50